cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
somebodyuknow
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Strange startup service

HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 11

I don't know if this is the right place, but I just discovered a servcice named "VCM" in my msconfig services tab. I am paranoid, yes. Can anyone help me figure it out?

screenshot_1637319024.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,325 3,970 1,048 3,242
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Most likely it is this:

Video Compression Manager (VCM) based version of the Windows Media Video 9 encoder/decoder will enable legacy encoding and editing applications to support the Windows Media Video 9 codec in file containers such as AVI.

If this PC was upgraded from an existing previous version of Windows, that is probably how it got there but it is not longer supported and will not even run in Windows 11.  It is a leftover from Windows 7, most likely.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,325 3,970 1,048 3,242
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Most likely it is this:

Video Compression Manager (VCM) based version of the Windows Media Video 9 encoder/decoder will enable legacy encoding and editing applications to support the Windows Media Video 9 codec in file containers such as AVI.

If this PC was upgraded from an existing previous version of Windows, that is probably how it got there but it is not longer supported and will not even run in Windows 11.  It is a leftover from Windows 7, most likely.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
1 person found this reply helpful
somebodyuknow
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply!

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
11,325 3,970 1,048 3,242
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Glad to help.

I'm not an HP employee.
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation