Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Tutor
Message 1 of 4 (189 Views)
Accepted Solution

System Restore Point Recovery Fails (0x80070091) - I'm able to create "Restore Points" ok.

[ Edited ]
Product Name: envy 750-160qe
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am able to create restore points, but not recovery of restore points.  The recovery process seems to proceed normally and the computer reboots.  Then I get an error window the says "system restore failed......Unspecified error (0x80070091).  I tried using several different restore points.

Some minor issues occurred after the latest Windows update.  MS Edge disappeared from my task bar as did Solitaire.  I was able to get Edge back.  Solitaire was resident on my PC.  I can still access it via Xbox.

Can anyone confirm that (system restore problem) is a Microsoft Win 10 bug?  

Also, in the "System Properties" window - protection tab, I see that protection for drive "D" is turned off.  Should it be "on".  If so how do I turn it on?

Not being able to restore my system to a previous state could be a serious problem in the future.  Please help.

P.S.  I am a bit confused by terminology.  What is the term for getting to a previous state determined by a restore point?

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: System Restore Point Recovery Fails (0x80070091) - I'm able to create "Restore Points&quot

Hi Gordiek

There is a problem with Microsoft System Restore on Win 10 version 1607.

The Creator's Update is supposed to fix this.

Don't turn on system protection for the drive "D' if it is the HP Recovery Drive.

There are a couple ways to recover your pC to an earlier state:

1. Microsoft System Restore

2. Microsoft Reset or Fresh start

3. Create a Recovery drive (USB stick) and a system image on external backup

4. HP Recovery media using the HP Recovery Manager to create the recovery media.

5. Use third party media such as Paragon or Macrium to create bootable recovery stick and image backups on external media.

Grzy

View solution in context
PhD Student
Message 2 of 4 (162 Views)

Re: System Restore Point Recovery Fails (0x80070091) - I'm able to create "Restore Points&quot

Hi Gordiek

There is a problem with Microsoft System Restore on Win 10 version 1607.

The Creator's Update is supposed to fix this.

Don't turn on system protection for the drive "D' if it is the HP Recovery Drive.

There are a couple ways to recover your pC to an earlier state:

1. Microsoft System Restore

2. Microsoft Reset or Fresh start

3. Create a Recovery drive (USB stick) and a system image on external backup

4. HP Recovery media using the HP Recovery Manager to create the recovery media.

5. Use third party media such as Paragon or Macrium to create bootable recovery stick and image backups on external media.

Grzy

Tutor
Message 3 of 4 (139 Views)

Re: System Restore Point Recovery Fails (0x80070091) - I'm able to create "Restore Points&

Hi Grzy,

I downloaded "Fresh Start".  I was unaware of its existence and it looks promising for future use.  I researched "Creator's Update" and read that "Windows Defender" is not included.  If that is true, it is typical of Microsoft.

The issues that I have and am aware of are annoyances rather than serious problems.   I was looking for a solution that would not require me to reinstall all my apps.

Gordie

PhD Student
Message 4 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: System Restore Point Recovery Fails (0x80070091) - I'm able to create "Restore Points&

[ Edited ]

Hi Gordiek

I hear you.

I am running the Creator's Update version. Windows Defender is in there. Microsoft even includes a unified Security Center in this version.

I use Paragon Backup and Recovery software.

Many people also like Macrium. Both come in a free version.

You get your system running stable with all the programs you use installed. Then create a system image backup on external media using one of the above programs.

Create a bootable rescue USB stick using either program.

You can also create incremental backups. 

Then when you have a problem you boot to the rescue USB stick. Reimage your OS disk using the backup image you saved to external media.

No muss or fuss with installing programs again. Using the base image you only lose data or programs you installed after making the image unless you use the most recent incremental backup.

So you should always back up data as you go in case you have to restore an image.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation