Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G280
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My pc is running win 7. It has a sticker on the case that says win 10 pro is downgraded to win 7 pro. I want to use win 10. Will a win 10 installation be on the recovery partition?

Alternatively  will I be able to upgrade to win 10 via the usual upgrade app without the recovery option? If so what code do I use - the win 7 that’s running one?

All help very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mike.

Most likely the recovery partition is for W7.

The W10 product key is in the BIOS, so you shouldn't need it to install W10 using either option I posted.

You will need the W7 product key to reinstall W7 though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have two options...

Clean install W10 by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Do an inplace upgrade from your existing W7 installation by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link above, and that should allow you to keep your current files and W10 compatible programs without having to reinstall them as you would with a clean install.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

The thing is that I don’t know which windows version is in the recovery partition or indeed if a straight forward upgrade will work if the product key is only valid for win 7.

thanks again,

mike

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Mike.

Most likely the recovery partition is for W7.

The W10 product key is in the BIOS, so you shouldn't need it to install W10 using either option I posted.

You will need the W7 product key to reinstall W7 though.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much Paul

youve been a great help

HP Recommended

Anytime, Mike.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.