Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

> a restart (or many) did not help at all for me

If you keep interrupting Windows Update (which is creating that 'Z:' drive-letter), by "restarting",

rather than letting Windows Update complete, Windows Update will recreate it, as long as it needs to recreate it.

HP Recommended

WAWood, it is actually a "BIG DEAL" because when you have GPO mapped Drive Z: it will not work because this niusance is pre-empting the drive letter. Am I supposed to go through and change countless client GPO's just because someone decided a new behaviour wouldn't cause any problems?  So far I am only seeing this behaviour on one HP Laptop, but it happens to be the VP of Sales who carries it and the Z: drive is fairly important to our Sales team.

I am also seeing mixed reports from my research stating this is a restore partition, a UEFI partion, or a Windows Updates partition... so which is it and why is it happening? The partition is always there, I used diskpart to remove the drive letter a week ago and the VP reached out to me today, problem is back.

HP Recommended

> ...  a restore partition, a UEFI partion, or a Windows Updates partition...

> so which is it

Windows Update created a RAM-disk, and assigns (for better or for worse) the 'Z:' drive-letter.

Have the "VP of Sales" manually launch Windows Update (there were some "non-security" updates released on 2016/10/27), let WU finish, reboot, and see "which" 'Z:' he sees, namely "mapped" or "RAM-disk".

HP Recommended

NO. You would be incorrect. No updates running. No internet connection for over 4 hours prior to the clearing and restarting. And as someone else already said - restarting by itseld did not get rid of the Z system for me. I also do not care if it's not a big deal to you or anyone else. It's annoying. I did run updates last night just to see if it came back but it did not reappear.

HP Recommended

Someone should add a 'thumbs down' so people could show negative reactions to your posts. You seem very dismissive and condescending. Just a thought for you for future posts.

HP Recommended

> Someone should add a 'thumbs down' so people could show negative reactions to your posts. 

While you're at it, add a "shoot the [volunteer] messenger, for trying to help" button.    🙂

Sometimes, the advice you get is worth exactly what you paid for it.  🙂

HP Recommended

STWilson

OK, then ... I stand CORRECTED!!

I have literally seen hundreds of posts about this, in several different forums, and yours is the ONLY post that indicated a genuine problem with this "Z Drive" situation.

Everyone else was either whining about this sudden new "drive", or going beserk over presumptions that it was a "vack door" enabling hackers to take over their PC!!

So, in deference to your situation, I will remove the comments from my post.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

It does not appear to be an update RAM disk, the partition was still there with no prompt for update installation and repeated restarts and shut-downs. I admittedly did not manually run updates because when he told me he had already done the reboots and shutdowns he was at the point that he needed data for a meeting, running updates at that time wasn't going to happen.

Windows has NEVER in it's history that I can recall used the Z: drive letter for this so why now? I have no issue with telling anyone their machine needs some updates but I have a huge issue with an update inhibiting productivity by blocking GP mapped drives needed for an officer of the company to complete a deal.

I'd have to agree with the folks complaining about the tone and attitude of some of the volunteers here, I am a 15+ year veteran of this industry so understand I've seen my fair share, this Z: drive thing is just sloppy and there are good reasons that it should NOT be allowed to happen.

HP Recommended

I got a quick look at the laptop again, there are no critical or important updates available on it. The partition is still present but does not have a drive letter. It is 360 MB in size and based on what I have seen it looks to be an EFI partition, not updates related. I found almost identical symptoms on a post in another forum except that they don't indicate it may come back, I had used diskpart to remove the drive letter a week ago and it came back on this laptop.

HP Recommended

> I had used diskpart to remove the drive letter a week ago 

Since it shows-up in "Disk Management" (GUI) or "diskpart" (command-line), it really exists on the disk-drive.

One of the Windows 10 updates on October 26, 2016 was a "Servicing Stack Update", namely an update to Windows Update.  Maybe, it accessed the EFI partition, to update that partition, in addition to the "active" partition -- the 'C:' drive?

Are you able to show the date/time stamps on all the files (hidden and non-hidden) on 'Z:' ?

Are any "recent" ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.