Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So, I just got this 17t Envy a week ago and all was OK. Yesterday...after a week...I now have the Z: drive. Has anyone figured out why as I have not installed anything. It happened, I believe, after I tried a Windows Update and it said it was up to date. Can I get rid of it, or should it go away on its own?

HP Recommended

Please read all of the previous TWENTY-NINE messages in this thread, to understand the symptoms.

It seems impossible for that many responses to be posted without ANY of them giving the answer to the question.

Also, there are other "threads" in this forum about the 'Z:' drive-letter.  Just do a "search" for them, by typing a 'Z' into the search-box, and choosing from any of the "suggested results".

HP Recommended

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/system-Z-drive/m-p/5757085#M129...

>> 04-29-2017 11:39 AM  - edited ‎04-29-2017 11:42 AM 

>> What I did do, was follow someone else's advice and it has worked every time System Z has appeared,

>> which is whenever the HP Support Assistant has updated.

>> Just type the following text into the search box, run the command,

>> restart your computer and System Z will be gone..........

>>
      mountvol Z:\ /D

>>

QED.

HP Recommended

I will try this and I DID read all of the posts before asking as I did not believe that what I had happen was what I saw, but I will look again. Some say to just leave it alone and it will go away.

Also, are they saying the HP Support Assistant program was updated? I am not sure what version I am on.

HP Recommended

> Also, are they saying the HP Support Assistant program was updated?

Yes, that is what some people have reported.

> I am not sure what version I am on.

If you have installed it, it probably has updated itself to the current version.

If you have not installed it, ...

Welcome to this forum. Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

HP Recommended

Well, I did not install it but assummed that it was installed from HP as the system is only 1 week old..

HP Recommended

Maybe you could try being slightly LESS condescending? There has not been a real solution posted in this thread or any other which is why people continue to ask the question. The bottom line is some sub-par programmer needed a mapped drive for their code to work and did not write a clean-up routine into whatever patch or update they released. HP has failed to address this issue so it continues to cause problems for users. It is utterly rediculous to expect end users to have to run commands to clean up a drive that never should have been left there in the first place.

Yes, you can manually remove the drive, that is not something business end users are going to have the skillset or potentially even the permissions to do for themselves and if they have a legitimate mapped drive using the Z: identifier this bug breaks their access.  HP, FIX YOUR CODE!

HP Recommended

Thank You so much! Top Student! I can do these things but they will come back and when I use Macrium Reflect to image the drive, sometimes Z will be there and other times it will not. I agree, HP should fix this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.