Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP all in one Y1A02EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can't get the windows start-up and task bar open it shows a constant busy symbol on the task bar and when menu is clicked on the screen goes white then back to main screen that also has no files etc in thumbnails on main screen all files have disappeared? HELP!!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Fitzy61 -- you could have a disk-drive that is failing -- very, very, very slow to respond when you "click" anything.

Restart the computer, and launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics against the disk-drive. If the "short" test fails, do NOT run the "long" (many minutes) test, because that test may kill the "residual" life remaining in the disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply unfortunately I have tried the diagnostic bit but it shows everything is ok I left it switched on for hours thinking it would rectify the problem but I still have nothing but the very nice wallpaper on my main screen no saved files photos etc? If it can't be fixed I will have to save up for a new computer 😔

HP Recommended

@Fitzy61 -- elsewhere, I have seen a report of missing desktop icons following a Windows Update.

It was suggested to right-mouse-button click on the wallpaper, and choose to "unhide" those icons.

On your keyboard, if you press the "Windows" key (bottom-left of your keyboard), does the Windows menu quickly pop-up ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.