Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One - 20-c403ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon.

My product is HP All-in-One - 20-c403ur.

I decided to upgrade my computer - replace my regular HDD with a new SSD.

I use a Samsung EVO 860 500GB drive for this. However, when this disk is connected, the system freezes - the first screen appears with the characteristics of the computer, but you cannot press the ESC button - the computer freezes, the keyboard stops working.

If you remove this SSD, you can enter the BIOS. If you connect any other normal HDD, the system will also start normally. I have two new identical original tested SSD EVO 860 500GB drives. They both work fine on the other computer.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version. ROM 8381, BIOS version F.66 Rev. A.

It did not help.

I'm confused. I've never encountered this .. I need help, please.

P.S.  Forgive me for my English - I don't know this language - I use a translator. Therefore, it is difficult for me to use search - maybe this problem has already been discussed? Please provide a link

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Samsung EVO 860 500GB

what is that, ? exactly.  a 2.5" real SATA drive,? not M.2 or the like sorry too lazy to RTM for your PC.

is this your first w10 fresh install>?  do tell that so I can focus your skills.

I guess you have the BIOS set up all wrong.

and is always first that.

the old PCs SSD,was set up i bios

Esc key dead means  BIOS is dead, but is not with SSD pulled. that means you need to reset bios.

or upgrade it.

in bios screen #1 see the defults, choice do that then set USB to be first boot devices.

Connect the SSD with no power cord connected, do not hot swap parts inside any PC. oK? or it will latch up.

connect the New SSD, and then deside on using safeboot or not. now. your call, I use none here.

then boot the w10 install media (USB from MS) and install w10 fresh 64bit.

The RTC coin cell is not bad at 4 years old but I never fail to check them case lid off, or go broke fast. see?

over 2.9vdc good below bad. do that first. on all pCs , if PC is stored for 3 years the battery can fail in 3.

per intel.com and the battery  makers and my  experiences.

some times a battery can just fail (quality issues it)

but your problem is BIOS is set wrong, it is not the SSD. fault.

instructions were here.  YOu did this just like this right, this location and all?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05145971

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

how to not hot swap 101

pull the line cord from the AC wall jack

PSU input (AC) is now dead but not  a long string of caps inside (they add up)

to get PC safe, push power up to 3  times the power button to discharge all caps in the PC. and fan stops twitching or led glow not.   fully dead, , some wait 1hr to get it even lower, all caps below (0.4v or less)

now PC is safe to work on  INSIDE. (no USB devices now for sure cell phone batteries charging here)  remove all things to all ports.

lid off. (rear) get to work now.

on laptops the huge battery is removedtoo. and first. (off topic)

the RTC coin cell is checked now using  $10 voltmeter, 2.9vdc or more. 3.3 is new.

do not let this battery go lower, or NVRAM goes nuts and BIOS with it. 

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Ok, everything in order:

1. I use a Samsung 860 EVO SATA 2.5 "SSD 500GB MZ-76E500BW. Great SSD drive with excellent characteristics. The best on the market. I have installed Windows 10 and Windows 7 on such a drive many times. .. 10-20 times at least

2. As for the BIOS - I updated it to the latest version, I reset it to default values, I removed the RTC battery. I checked it - 3.12V. Everything is fine. After installing the battery I re-configured the BIOS. I tried the default settings.

3. I made a bootable USB flash drive. I configured the BIOS to start from a USB flash drive. I turned off the security mode. I tried all possible combinations. As soon as I connect this drive in the BIOS it is impossible to enter - the computer freezes Do you want - I can shoot a video?

4. And I repeat - if you connect any other traditional HDD instead of an SSD drive, the installation of Windows 10. It is obvious that the BIOS is alive.

Maybe HP has a white list for different hard drive manufacturers ? (does exist whitelist for WiFi modules)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.