Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 270-p033w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday morning an older relative of mine tripped on their computer cables and caused the tower to  slide off its base and onto the floor.  The floor was carpet and the "fall" was slight, 2-3 inches.   However, when they tried to boot it it returned a hard disk error.  I ran the diagnostic tool, but an error message informed me that SMART check was unavailable:

================

Hard disk error: please run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics
Hard Disk 1 (3F1)

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI
SMART Check: NOT AVAILABLE
Short DST: NOT AVAILABLE (1: NOT AVAILABLE)

Current Version: 1.19.0.0 - BIOS
For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter.PCD

======================

I thought perhaps maybe a connection had been jostled loose when it fell. I opened the case to see if anything obvious was disconnected, but I have no experience with internal computer hardware.  I've never so much as plugged in a stick of RAM or  pulled out a DVD drive.   I knew enough not to touch the motherboard,  and I can name the major components inside, but that's it.  The hard disk drive appears to be behind the DVD drive. 

Am I right in thinking that I would need to take out the DVD drive before I can check the disk drive's physical connections to the power and motherboard? I have attached 3 internal shots, but I don't know if they are helpful or not.

Re: warranty,  it expired sixth days ago. The unit was a Christmas gift from me to my parents. 

internal3.jpginternal2.jpginternal.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The first photo features the green-coloured stick of RAM, and one of the "posts" holding the heat-sink tightly down to the motherboard.

The second photo features the circular blue-coloured "motherboard-battery", the edge of the green-coloured stick of RAM, part of the circular heat-sink & fan on top of the processor, and, maybe, a black-coloured "data" cable connecting to a white socket on the motherboard.

The third photo features the stick of RAM, that same "post", and the black-coloured "data" cable, with the white-end, connecting to the disk-drive. Also, the red/black wires supply power to the disk-drive.

Check that the "data" cable is securely-connected to both the disk-drive and the motherboard.

Check that the red/black power-connector is securely-connected to the disk-drive.

Or, take the computer to a technician, for professional trouble-shooting.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The first photo features the green-coloured stick of RAM, and one of the "posts" holding the heat-sink tightly down to the motherboard.

The second photo features the circular blue-coloured "motherboard-battery", the edge of the green-coloured stick of RAM, part of the circular heat-sink & fan on top of the processor, and, maybe, a black-coloured "data" cable connecting to a white socket on the motherboard.

The third photo features the stick of RAM, that same "post", and the black-coloured "data" cable, with the white-end, connecting to the disk-drive. Also, the red/black wires supply power to the disk-drive.

Check that the "data" cable is securely-connected to both the disk-drive and the motherboard.

Check that the red/black power-connector is securely-connected to the disk-drive.

Or, take the computer to a technician, for professional trouble-shooting.

HP Recommended

Hi, mdklassen, thank you for your reply.    I took two more photos from a better angle, one that demonstrates that the first  data/power cable in the third photo before came from the DVD drive instead of the HDD.   In the second photo below, is the red cable with the blue end the data cable, perhaps? It disappears underneath the HDD, and I haven't been able to get an angle on it.  I'm contacting a friend with a computer repair/home networking shop to see if she is interested. 

anotherangle.jpgleft_of_hdd_dvd.jpg

HP Recommended

For a SATA disk-drive, looking "top-down" (at the label, not the electronic circuit-board), the arrangment is:

+----------------+

|                |

|                |

|                |

|    LABEL       |

|                |

|<---3.5 inches->|

|                |

|                |

|                |

|                |

|                |

|                |

|                |

+----PPP-DDD-----+

The PPP is the wider cable, bringing electrical power to the disk-drive,

and the DDD is the "data" cable.

The SATA cable can be "flipped" -- end-for-end -- because the socket on the motherboard is identical to the socket on the disk-drive.  So, take a close look on the motherboard for the "other" end of the SATA cable(s). Check that the cables are properly & fully connected.

HP Recommended

Mdklassen, I just wanted to let you know that with your help, I determined the data cables were securely connected. I decided to buy another HDD and install it.  It POSTed perfectly, I installed windows, and now that  system is back in business, and is the system I'm writing this on. Thank you for your help. 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.