Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPa6610T
Microsoft Windows Vista

I am trying to install the software for a new printer and I keep getting the message "unable to connect to server". No company has been able to help me except to say it has to do with my computer settings. I tried to solve the problem by disabling the firewall; that didn't help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Elizabeth

I gave you a link to the 64 bit Epson printer driver.

Try this link to the 32 bit version of the printer driver.

Grzy

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi ElizabethCK

The forum needs much more info to assist.

What is the model number of the printer?

Does the printer installation software support Windows Vista?

What type of connection to the printer are you using?

1. USB

2. Ethernet

3. Wifi

Try a hard wired connection to a local PC first to see if the printer communicates with the PC.

Does the printer appear on your router's network map?

Grzy

HP Recommended

It's an Epson ET-4500 and yes, the company said it is compatible with Windows Vista. The directions say to make sure the printer is NOT connected to the computer when installing the software. The included CD-ROM didn't work because of the same error message, as well as one that said I needed to update Windows photo gallery, which I tried to do but the "update now" button takes me to a Canon website every time, which makes no sense at all. So I tried to download and install it from the Epson website with no luck, as I first spoke about.

HP Recommended

Hi Elizabeth

Did you have a Canon printer. Go in Control Panel, Devices and Printers and remove the Canon printer. Go to Installed Programs in Control Panel and uninstall any Canon printer software. It has been a long time since I have used Vista. The current Control Panel item is called Programs and Features.

Okay, so it sounds as if you are connecting by USB to a local PC.

Try downloading and installing from this link, Printer Driver V2.41 ,directly from Epson.

Let me know if this works.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I did have a Canon but I uninstalled the programs before asking for help here. I tried the link you gave and when opening the Zip file it said, "This version of the (1%?) program is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check the computer system's information to see whether you need a x68 (32-bit) or x64 (64-biy) version of the program, then contact the software publisher." What does that mean?

HP Recommended

Hi Elizabeth

I gave you a link to the 64 bit Epson printer driver.

Try this link to the 32 bit version of the printer driver.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Thank you! I was able to download some of the Epson software from your link. The scanner software wouldn't download but I called Epson and they helped me get an app on the desktop for scanning, which is okay.  I'm curious--why did your link work but the one I got directly from Epson didn't? Where did you get it from? 

HP Recommended

Hi ElizabethCK

You are welcome.

You can download drivers and utilities for the Epson printer here.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.