Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Omen #870-119
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had a problem with one of the driver -- volsnap.sys and got the error code --can't remember the error code number. Anyway the desktop restart and went to diagnosing the computer then repair this desktop. Unfortunately the message said that the desktop can't repair. I don't have any idea or any clue why can't the computer repair not like other desktop or laptops can repair itself. Mine is not. So I decided to go ahead to use HP Recovery Manager to back up the files. Wow it took forver and still doing as of I am writing my message.  It started last night around 8 p.m. and now almost 11 p.m. Why is the HP recovery manager took so long. Well I know that I made backup copy over 112 GB then I thought that it would be better to use compression onto my 128GB flash drive for backup. I was thinking about " Reset this PC " but will lose my files and I don't want that to lose my files. Any idea to do the other way around to backup and repair the desktop in a quicker way. I am not sure how much time left to compress the files? Hope that you have better solution to tell me the easier way to fix the desktop. I was going to do the System Restore but the date is way back to August, 2017. That is too far back with the date. I thought that I did setup the System Restore every week but was surprirsed to see it's not and is my fault not to check with that before. Look forward to hear from anyone here with better answer.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My desktop is FIXED.  Thank you 

Smile,

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

Your PC shipped with Windows 10.

Try a Microsoft  System Restore to August 2017. No go here means you may have to recover to the HP factory setup.

A Microsoft system restore corrects system file modifications. User data remains intact

Most third party software backup processes obfuscate the primary goal; simple data recovery without having to jump through hoops to recover the data. Data backup and retrieval when using third party software is convoluted and complicated. You have to use the third party backup software to recover the data because it is stored in a proprietary format.

Backup critical data using an external backup device such as an external USB stick or an external USB drive. Just select the data you want to backup, then copy the data to backup media. Don't rely on complicated software when you can copy the data using imbedded operating system commands.

Using complicated recovery software makes this process harder than it should be.

I may not be answering your question because I don't understand what you are trying to solve.

Best wishes. Hope you get this problem fixed.

Tom

HP Recommended

Tom -- want to say thank you for your reply. OK I gave up with HP recovery manager because when this program start to backup in compression and one of the file block to transfer and have been waiting since in the wee morning hours around 1 a.m. I don't know what caused this. Yes I have System Restore with the date in August. Should I go with this to restore the desktop with that date in August. Can I just backup both the programs in (x86) and other program without (x86) and some of the program outside the (x86). Don't bother to backup Windows program and other Microsoft programs that are related to Windows like System, registry and others. Let me know about this.

John

HP Recommended

OK what I am trying to backup my files but decided to stop because it took too long to backup. Here is the list that I have on my C:/ drive and don't know if I do need most of the files for Windows. Anyway here is the list below:

3D OBJECTS

WINDOWS (C:/)

$AV_ASW

$GetCurrent

$WINDOWS-BT

AdwCleaner

Brother

chk

Conbuilder

hp

inetpub

MSTS_AE_Fix

Perflogs

Pics

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

ProgramData

RegBackup

rei

Reports

Route_Riter

Run 8 Studios

Run8Studios

SWSETUP

SYSTEM.SAV

Users

Windows

Windows.old

Windows10Upgrade

Now you see that I have lots of folder in my C:/ drive. I know what I want to backup my files -- Brother for printer, Conbuilder for my game application, Route_Riter for checking the game files to run properly, Run 8  Studios (first version) Run8Studios (second version) for games -- train simulators. 

Now you see what I want these files to backup above. But not sure what else do I have to backup the files before reset to factory settings on my desktop. I would appreciate with you to tell me which files are important to backup beside what I have before reset to factory settings. I am not worry about MSTS_AE_Fix, AdcCleaner, Pics (I don't have any pictures in my Pics folder). Not sure if I should add hp and SWSETUP for backup and I know that are for my HP desktop. The rest of the folders that I have and you see above and I am not sure which folder should I backup before reset to factory settings. Hope that I will get an answer soon about this.

Thank you again ,

John

HP Recommended

> Here is the list that I have on my C:/ drive and don't know if I do need most of the files for Windows.

( omitted )

It is rarely successful to backup "programs".

Like the creature in the ALIEN series of movies, that "invades" a host, installing a program drops files "everywhere", and changes settings in the Windows Registry.

Use your list as an "inventory" of what programs you will want to re-install, after you re-install Windows.

Instead of your list, you should backup just 2 folders:

*  SWSETUP -- files downloaded from HP's web-site, e.g., device-drivers,

*  Users -- all the "accounts" on your computer.

Can you boot from Windows Installation media, namely a USB memory-stick or a DVD-disk, and choose "repair my PC" ?

HP Recommended

Yes I do have a DVD disk of Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit. But I have no diea what to do when put the DVD disk in the CD/DVD disk drive and will see on the screen. Also surprised to see that all I need to backup two folders not others my programs like train simulator's stuff. What's about my emails? 

Anyway will wait to hear from you about what to do after put a DVD disk in and do what next?

John

HP Recommended

My desktop is FIXED.  Thank you 

Smile,

John

HP Recommended

> surprised to see that all I need to backup two folders

Inside the 'Users' folder is one folder for each account you have created.

One of those folders contains your 'Documents' and 'Pictures' and 'Music' folders.

> not others my programs like train simulator's stuff.

To repeat, backing-up "programs" is never successful.  Reinstall the programs.

> What's about my emails? 

If you use GMAIL or HOTMAIL or YAHOO mail, all your messages are in the "cloud", not on your computer.

If you use Outlook, then all your messages are inside that 'Users' folder, which you have backekd-up.

HP Recommended

> Thank you.

Welcome to this forum.  Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.