Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500 406a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having trouble accessing BIOS/UEFI. I tried to do it from within Windows 10 but in place of the option for UEFI settings was Startup Options which don't give access to the UEFI settings. Tried using F2 a from cold start up unsuccessfully, might have been too slow, is it F2 for this PC or another key?

My intention is to do a fresh install of Windows 10 wiping everything on the 3TB drive. So I need to change the boot sequence to the USB Drive. I understand some drivers might need reinstalling so will download them beforehand, at least the network ones anyhow.

Haven't done this before, any help and advice appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Perhaps...

HP Recovery Media Creation.pngThere is Recovery Manager?

In case of a pear shaped poblem.

SELECT SECURE/LEGACY BOOT AS REQUIRED, & CHANGE THE BOOT  SEQUENCE ALSO AS NEEDED.

Also I note the 3 TB drive size, sometimes this is a sticking point, but because there is already an install there should be no problems.

My access is via the ESC key and then F11.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

Perhaps...

HP Recovery Media Creation.pngThere is Recovery Manager?

In case of a pear shaped poblem.

SELECT SECURE/LEGACY BOOT AS REQUIRED, & CHANGE THE BOOT  SEQUENCE ALSO AS NEEDED.

Also I note the 3 TB drive size, sometimes this is a sticking point, but because there is already an install there should be no problems.

My access is via the ESC key and then F11.

HP Recommended

"My access is via the ESC key and then F11."

Hi CF4 and Thanks for your help. 

I found that for me Esc key then keep hitting F9 worked for a HP Pavilion 500 406a.

I found the BIOS Firmware Revision  is out of date and not listed on the HP site in their version history. Mine is MEM V80.20 dated 10/31/2014.

The current existing Boot Order is as follows. I think I need to change this. I want to fresh reinstall Windows 10, wiping everything on the 3TB hard Drive using UEFI only with GPT so it doesnt unallocate space. Will a fresh install completely wipe the 3TB Hard Drive including the System and Recovery Partitions  and then recreate the required partitions? That's what I am hoping for.

Cheers nopejo

HP500_406aBootOrder.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi

If you make your own install media, and format the DRIVE, then providing the OS is comfortable with the 3TB disk then YES.

Create new partitions, apart from the UEFI area, then you will need to create what you want.

If you are going to use a single C: partition, and work it a lot, then Defragging will takes weeks, unless you run one regularly and in the background.

So there is a long term speed/access time gotcha with Large partitions.

HP Recommended

Hi CF4

I have a legit copy of Windows 10 on a USB stick I wish to use to replace the existing Windows 10 that was activated by the previous owner with a hack tool. I understand hack tools sometimes load malware so I would like to get rid of everything on the Hard Drive and start with a clean secure and legit system for peace of mind.

I am concerned that my BIOS MEM V80.20 date 10/31/2014 SSID ROM Family 2AF7 is not listed on the HP site. I see 2 BIOS version updates for my SSID ROM Family 2AF7 under the Windows 8.1 64 bit section of driver updates and none under the Windows 10 option as they all have a different SSID ROM Family.

You mentioned " providing the OS is comfortable with the 3TB disc". At the moment it has about a TB of unallocated space which I assume is because  it has somehow booted in legacy mode after the last Windows Update. Not sure why it would do that as I thought the Boot Order had UEFI on Hard Drive as the first option.

This is a learning process. Wish I could find some info on my BIOS on my Memphis S Motherboard.

Cheers Noel

HP Recommended

Hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-500-400-desktop-pc-series/7161732/model...

80.03 Rev.A4.4 MBOct 17, 2014 
80.08 Rev.A5.0 MBJan 12, 2015 
A0.11 Rev.A5.6 MBJan 19, 2016 
A0.13 Rev.A5.7 MBOct 06, 2016 
A0.12 Rev.A5.6 MBJuly 19, 2016 

BIOS
Version:
A0.14 Rev.A
Operating Systems:
Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date:
Mar 31, 2017
File name:
sp79617.exe (5.7 MB)
HP Recommended

Hi CF4

Unfortunately the SSID ROM Family of those BIOS Updates are not 2AF7. HP state that for BIOS updates the SSID ROM Family has to be the same. Also that BIOS updates should be done in sequence ie not skipping several in between to get to the latest one which is why I am puzzled how to do that when my BIOS MEM V80.20 is not listed anywhere.

Cheers Noel

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.