Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 g1 usdt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Fresh W7 64 install and USB 3.0 are inop, tried all the drivers i can find with no success. Could really use some help.

Thanks, Denta 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You've tried W10 and now W7 with the same result and definitely in W7 since it does not natively contain the USB 3 drivers like W10 does, there should be a device listed under an Other Devices category in the device manager named as a USB controller, and since there isn't, Windows is not recognizing the existence of the hardware.

Something is not right.  What that is, unfortunately, I don't know.

Trace back the USB connections from the front ports to the motherboard and make sure the connections are tight.

The back ones are directly connected to the motherboard, so there is nothing to check.

But I am thinking the USB 3 controller on the motherboard is no good, and the only way to fix it would be to replace the motherboard.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Try the USB 3 drivers directly from Intel.   Download, unzip and run the setup application from the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I get 'The  procedure entry point SetDefaultDIIDirectories could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I stuck.

Thanks, Denta 

HP Recommended

Hi, Denta:

See if this works.

If you still have the unzipped USB3 driver folder, go to the device manager and click on the USB controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the unzipped driver folder.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and hopefully the driver will install that way.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

There is nothing showing it needs a driver. There is nothing to do with usb 3.0 ! Its just not there. I just dont get it. The 3.0 ports charge only.

Thanks, Denta 

HP Recommended

Hi:

There must be some kind of hardware issue then.

HP Recommended

It will recognize android, apple phones, thumb drive but no 3.0 devices.

HP Recommended

You've tried W10 and now W7 with the same result and definitely in W7 since it does not natively contain the USB 3 drivers like W10 does, there should be a device listed under an Other Devices category in the device manager named as a USB controller, and since there isn't, Windows is not recognizing the existence of the hardware.

Something is not right.  What that is, unfortunately, I don't know.

Trace back the USB connections from the front ports to the motherboard and make sure the connections are tight.

The back ones are directly connected to the motherboard, so there is nothing to check.

But I am thinking the USB 3 controller on the motherboard is no good, and the only way to fix it would be to replace the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, 

I'm afraid your right. At least there not expensive for this unit.

Thanks again, 

Denta 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.