Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-215xt PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was having trouble with some of my USB 2.0 ports.  I turned to Google and got some bad advice... or I did it wrong.  It said to go into device settings and uninstall the USB port.  I choose two that "Appeared" empty... several had device connections show (I believe).  It then said to reboot the system and the USB port would be reinstalled.  It appeared to be working as there was a small window that showed USB ports being installed... but more than the two I had deinstalled.  After that my USB wireless keyboard and mouse quit working except for prior to Windows launching.  In otherwards there is a brief period that I can move the mouse during the boot, but not after the logon screen comes up.  I then can not type in my password because the keyboard does not work.  If I start the system and hit escape after the HP logo shows, I can type on those screens.. or if I force a close and get the screen at startup that the system did not close normally the keyboard works on that screen.  In otherwords, its a Windows install problem, not a hardware problem.  I tried another keboard that I had, but it connected via USB too.. I tried to restore to my most recent restore point, which I set before each app install... but it said I had no restore points.  I tried going in under safe mode... but keyboard does not for password there either.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Bob-50

Welcome to HP Support Community

I appreciate your expertise in diagnosing this issue

At this point I suggest you perform a system recovery

- Turn off the computer.Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.
- Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose an option screen is displayed, and then continue.
- On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.
- Under Help, click System Recovery.
- When Recovery Manager prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:
- The Welcome to HP Recovery Manager screen is displayed. Read the on-screen information, and then disconnect any connected devices and cables, such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.
- Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.
- Click Next to continue.
- When recovery preparation is complete, click Continue to proceed to the installation phase of the recovery process. The computer restarts several times during the recovery. This is normal. Do not close, shut down, or disconnect the computer while HP Recovery runs.
- Recovery Manager reformats the Windows partition and reinstalls the original software.
- After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
- Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.
- Before using the computer, update and protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.
- Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a great day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.