Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6-2143ef

Any bootable USB device attached won't show up in the list of available devices.

I don't have any options in BIOS to enable/disable secure boot or legacy boot options (the entire "Secure Boot Configuration" is missing from the Security menu).

I have tried various settings in BIOS, like Hyper-threading, disabled Data Execution Prevention, but nothing seems to make any difference.

I also tried setting a Setup Password, which made no difference to the menus in BIOS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Product Name: Pavilion p6-2143ef

SKU: B4Q82EA#ABF

BIOS: CUP_716.rom v7.16

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @MacroMan2

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F10 once for BIOS. 
4) Press F9 for BIOS defaults. 
5) Press F10 to save and exit. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

You may also refer to this document - HP Desktop PCs - BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

Thanks for replying.

I have reset the BIOS to the default settings, but still not working.

I don't see what difference Windows update will make to the BIOS, but I've humoured you and updated anyway, with no difference.

It's like secure boot is on, but the menu is missing in the BIOS. I have checked on downloads, and I'm already running the latest firmware (7.16)

HP Recommended

@MacroMan2

Updating the computer will install the latest available version of BIOS and drivers. 

As the issue still persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region. 

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.