Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY All-In-One-27-b025se
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been using my All-In-One desktop for over 3 years, but probably set it up wrong initially.  The data files that I have been using are only on the computer's 250 GB PCLe NVMe M.2 SSD, and I can't even see the 2 TB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive.  Because I was getting "low disk space" too often, I added a 500 GB ADATASE730H SSD last year connected to a USB port, and it's usable, but operates more like a flash drive than automatically.  I'm now getting low disk space messages again and realize my real problem is that I don't have the file system set up properly.  My computer's PCLe SSD is drive C; my ADATA SSD is drive D; and I don't even see my hard disk storage on my File Explorer.  My knowledge of the computer HW and OS 10 is obviously way below the level of this machine, but I'd sure like to: A) Establish the 2TB internal HD as a usable storage area, and B) Set up the files so that my C drive doesn't get too low, the primary data file storage is on the internal 2TB HD, and the ADATA SSD is a long-term storage / backup.  Is it possible for an aging SW programmer turned systems engineer turned manager turned instructor to get such guidance from the experts on this forum, or do I need to take my favorite tool into a shop for their expertise?  I got the computer directly from HP and unfortunately didn't take advantage of the 2 yr CarePack that I also purchased at the same time.

Wooder

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Having been able to “see” the 2 TB HDD, but unable to connect to it despite all the fine method you and others from the Windows 10 Users Forum indicated, I finally took it to an IT savvy former work colleague who had a number of options to consider. After checking with several of his contacts, including one from HP who was adamant that the AIO model 27-b025se did not have a 2 TB disk (which I refuted by purchase paperwork and the ways and actual device retail ID name that we had seen following the guidance that I received), my former colleague delayed opening the machine and taking the HDD out to format it and instead took the OS route first. He initially loaded a UNIX into the machine (sorry, but I don’t remember the “brand”) without having success. He then loaded Red Hat Unix and poof – there it was. From there he formatted it for NTFS, and returned my machine. I’m now reloading my primary files onto the 2 TB HDD, with the intent to free up a large portion of the SDD that held them previously. Bye, bye “Low Disk Space” messages.

I do want to thank everyone and WAWood for their inputs and guidance. Though unsuccessful by themselves, they did educate me a great deal and provided the hard facts that guided my colleague to the least destructive and quickest fix for my problem. Thank you one and all!

Wooder

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Wooder 

Like to suggest two things ...

First, type Format and Create in the search area to select and open the Disk Management window.  Then when that opens, scroll down through the list and see if your HDD is listed.  It might be there but simply not have a drive letter assigned.  IF it IS there, then try assigning a drive letter.  If that works, when you reboot, you will have access to it.

Second, if it does not show there, then go online and download and install the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard.  Then run that and see if IT sees the HDD. 

If NEITHER sees the HDD, then the drive could simply NOT be connected inside the PC or the drive could be dead.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

If that also does not detect the drive, since the All-in-Ones are notoriously HARD to open, you would need to take the PC to a repair facility that works on laptops and have them open it and check both the HDD and its connections.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Having been able to “see” the 2 TB HDD, but unable to connect to it despite all the fine method you and others from the Windows 10 Users Forum indicated, I finally took it to an IT savvy former work colleague who had a number of options to consider. After checking with several of his contacts, including one from HP who was adamant that the AIO model 27-b025se did not have a 2 TB disk (which I refuted by purchase paperwork and the ways and actual device retail ID name that we had seen following the guidance that I received), my former colleague delayed opening the machine and taking the HDD out to format it and instead took the OS route first. He initially loaded a UNIX into the machine (sorry, but I don’t remember the “brand”) without having success. He then loaded Red Hat Unix and poof – there it was. From there he formatted it for NTFS, and returned my machine. I’m now reloading my primary files onto the 2 TB HDD, with the intent to free up a large portion of the SDD that held them previously. Bye, bye “Low Disk Space” messages.

I do want to thank everyone and WAWood for their inputs and guidance. Though unsuccessful by themselves, they did educate me a great deal and provided the hard facts that guided my colleague to the least destructive and quickest fix for my problem. Thank you one and all!

Wooder

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.