Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy TE0l
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Product #a141On; #ER890AA-ABA.  I'm unable to burn a file to a CD/DVD.  Get message there is no disc in drive and then the disc ejects.  It's shown as Drive D.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@woophily 

You don't burn individual files to a CD/DVD; instead, you burn something called a "session".  The CD/DVD is not treated like a filesytem that is on a hard drive or USB stick.

With a regular CDs, you can burn only one session; with RW CDs, you can burn multiple sessions, one after the other.

If you are having problems, it is most like the application you are using.  And since we have no way to debug issues with individual applications, your best bet is to contact the support forum for the vendor of the application you are using.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I don't understand using a "session."  Will have to try to get help with that.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@woophily 

A "session" is just another term for a chunk of data.

A CD/DVD can not be handled in the same way as a hard drive or USB stick.  These other two have file systems installed on them, so you can read and write folders and files using them.

But a CD/DVD can not do that; so instead, when you want to put data onto them, you have to use an application that "burns" data to them, and in these apps, you are presented with a window that looks like a file manager.  You drag and drop the files and folders you want on the disc into that window.  When you are done, you select the option to "burn" the disc.

If you watch this video, it will show you how this is done:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g523WJIwyKI

HP Recommended

O. K.  I understand that now.  Thanks.  However, I have done all that is suggested and have the screen up that has the name of the file I'm trying to burn and the words "burn to disc."  However, it keeps saying there's no disc to burn to.  I've tried two kinds of discs, and that doesn't work.  When I click on "next," the disc ejects.  I'm not sure whether it's a Windows issue or a HP issue.  I've spent many hours trying everything, and if I lack the ability to explain it correctly to you where you can help, I'm going to give up.  I could back the file up to a flash drive, but I have the story of my granddaughter's life from birth to now (she's 26) on a CD, and I want to use that format so I can just hand it to her or it will be in my desk should anything happen to me.  I had a HP Pavilion with Windows 7 and had no problem doing what I wanted, but I'm having problems with this now.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@woophily 

Sorry that did not work.

Here's a link to a number of free CD burning apps: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/446-freeware-dvd-burning.html

I would recommend CD burner XP.

HP Recommended

I checked out that link, and it does look like the XP is the simplest.  I can't do any other work on this for three days, but I'll jump back into it then.  Maybe my mind will be clearer anyway.  I'll let you know the result.

Thanks again.  You're doing a good service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.