Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One - 22-df0018na

System requested update of which I did. Now the PC is stuck in a loop with screen stating “BIOS update failed: unable to open image file ? Any help would be appreciated 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your PC is one of those with the MonkD motherboard where many folks are having that issue.

Your PC's motherboard is the same one as in this discussion (MonkD), so you need to make a BIOS recovery drive with the F.41 BIOS update file and not the latest two that HP has.

Solved: Re: ROM FAMILY SSID - HP Support Community - 8846687

See the last reply by Harinder_Singh:

"Thanks Paul, but this file seems to have errors...sp145453 and sp143666, Unable to make USB recovery flash drive, that's why when these updates are coming and people getting them installed are getting stuck in a BIOS update fail loop. Hence, on the basis of my exploitation SP141980 was fine, with this i was able to create BIOS recovery flash drive and finally restored BIOS and break the loop of BIOS update fail."

Link to the F.41 BIOS update.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp141501-142000/sp141980.exe 

The first link below explains how to create a BIOS recovery flash drive.

I've already provided the BIOS file you need, which is good for either W10 or W11.

Updating the BIOS on HP Consumer Desktops outside of Windows 11| HP Computers| HP Support - YouTube

Here's an alternative way to recover the BIOS with the USB recovery drive if the above method doesn't work.

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) | HP® Customer Support

Last section.  There is a video at the very bottom of the page that describes how to do this on a notebook PC, and since it is included under the desktop link, perhaps it works the same way.

Install the BIOS recovery file

Restoring the BIOS with a Recovery Flash Drive on HP Notebooks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.