Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP All-in-one 22-a025la
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day to everybody,

Basically my mother purchased this pc way back in 2014-2015 (Warranty has already expired ofcourse), and she never really used it that much as she also owns a much faster laptop, however, i remember this pc always had minor bugs & glitches and would often crash (BSOD), but we never really gave those problems much attention as she would not use the pc all that often anyways...

However, untill recently she decided she would start using this one for her work, so i took the pc to leave it in tip-top condition... It originally came with Windows 8.1 (came with a MASSIVE ammount of bloatware), which we never really liked it, so i decided to upgrade it to Windows 10... The computer in general does run Windows 10 smoothly, although it would still crash on me everytime i tried to let Windows do it's updates... after searching on the web, and trying any piece of advice that i could find, i came to the conclussion that it could be the hard drive, so i ordered a new one and installed it... I installed the OS (Windows 10), and the first thing that i did, was search for updates and let Windows install them... Some updates were able to install, some gave me errors, some resulted in a crash, etc... everytime i log into Windows, on my notification center i get a notification saying that i need to "Scan drive for errors", if i did just that, it would end in a BSOD, so i just don't pay attention to that anymore... I tried using several commands on the Command Prompt as some websites suggested, it didn't work...i started looking for other options, like the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Window, all tests  passed, except for the "Long Drive Self-Test" which appeared as "cancelled", so i don't know whats up with that, i also downloaded the HP Support Assistance to make sure that i get all drivers installed... now here is the main question: Out of all possible solutions to my problem, there is 1 that i haven't tried out, which is try and update my BIOS, as mentioned above, this is a HP All-in-one 22-a025la and has a AMD A6-7310 APU w/ AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, on the system information, this computer's BIOS appears to be AMI 80.01 (from 3/11/2015)... when i go to HP's website where i can download all needed drivers for this PC, under the BIOS section, i got 2 options which are: A0.13 Rev.A (for ROM SSID 2B43) and A0.10 Rev.A (for ROM SSID 2B44)... After some research, i found out that my PC's motherboard is a 2B42, so really noone of the above are for my motherboard and i don't know why they would suggest me to install those, i still downloaded both to try and see which one would be useful for me, but when i execute both install wizards, the very first "Update" checkbox appears completely gray with the text: "This BIOS Update is not compatible with your device" underneath, so i can't click on it, it would let me install the update files on a specific path, or a usb stick... This would show up on both versions so now i can't update my BIOS which clearly needs to be updated as it's from 2015... NOTE: I am typing this from the PC itself, and at this very moment, it's running just fantastic, no lagg whatsoever, everything works, although my notification center is still telling me that my disk needs a scan (which i will not do because it will give me a BSOD) and there are still several updates available (which i won't try to update anymore)... So this just confuses me even more and kinda lets me know this hard drive is just fine because my previous drive did had issues as my pc would lagg as a *beep*, freeze, desktop icons would disappear, etc... so although this drive isn't lagging, it still asks me to scan the drive for errors... So yea, i have no clue of what's next... the company that sold me the hard drive is waiting on my response in case we need to change the drives again, so before i did that,  i wanted to seek help here first before trying out ANOTHER drive... So please, anybody got any suggestions of what i could try next? I also want to apologize in case this topic has already been discussed before but i couldn't find any thread like my issue...

I look forward to hearing your suggestions

I just want to leave this pc at a 100% and be done with it :Crying: :Crying: :Crying:

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

HP identifies BIOS updates by using the motherboard (MB) SSID.

You are right when stating there is no Windows 10 BIOS update for your specific MB SSID (2B42). There is a Windows 8.1 BIOS for your MB (Link). Windows 8.1 BIOS updates may install correctly when running Windows 10.

You may have system file corruption if Windows is telling you to scan the replacement HDD. You may have a HDD problem if the scan causes a BSOD error.

New HDDs can fail prematurely or be bad out of the box. Or the issue could be related to memory problems or the MB SATA controller or connections to the drive and the MB.

I would run HP Diagnostics, System and Component tests, to check all hardware.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

HP identifies BIOS updates by using the motherboard (MB) SSID.

You are right when stating there is no Windows 10 BIOS update for your specific MB SSID (2B42). There is a Windows 8.1 BIOS for your MB (Link). Windows 8.1 BIOS updates may install correctly when running Windows 10.

You may have system file corruption if Windows is telling you to scan the replacement HDD. You may have a HDD problem if the scan causes a BSOD error.

New HDDs can fail prematurely or be bad out of the box. Or the issue could be related to memory problems or the MB SATA controller or connections to the drive and the MB.

I would run HP Diagnostics, System and Component tests, to check all hardware.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Although i still have a couple of issues with the updates etc, i mark this thread as solved as i succesfully updated my BIOS (finally), it was weird that when the installation was done, it marked me an error, saying that my BIOS was NOT able to be updated and the only option that it gave me was to restart my PC, so i did that, but when i checked the system information, my BIOS version appeared to be: AMI A0.11, 11/12/2018, so even though an error showed up, my BIOS did got updated, pretty weird... Anyways, right after that, i ran the System and Component test as you advised me and somehow when i run the SYSTEM test, the short drive self test's result show as "Cancelled"... However when i run the COMPONENT test, the short drive self test passes, but the Long drive self test shows as "Cancelled"... The disk read verify test did pass too, so that's it for the PC Hardware Diagnostics program... what i am going to do now is try and get the windows updates, try and do some research as to why the scans give me a "cancelled" result... if i get stuck again i will open another thread since the main problem from this one has already been solved...

Again, thanks a lot!

Have a nice day

HP Recommended

Hi VictorSoto,

You're very welcome.

All the strange symptoms you see sound like some type of hardware (HDD or memory) problem.

Have you tried running a check disk again (without seeing a BSOD) to see if you have system file corruption?

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.