Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2220t Product NumberB3F79AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1 and would like to know if my HP Pavilion p6-2220t is compatible with Windows 10.  Can I upgrade to Windows 10 on my current computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well it is not mandatory.  You can continue to use Windows 7, even after support has ended.  There are people still using WinXP and Vista.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The nice thing about Windows 10 is you can install using the Media Creation tool and try it out.  Just tell the install to skip inserting the product key and it will allow the install to proceed.  That way you can see how it works and how you like it.  If all is well and that it is working, then buy the activation key and all is well.

Here is where the Media Creation tool is

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create the installation media" and then follow directions.  Boot to the new media and install.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

What if all isn't well and I don't like it?  Afraid I will have messed up my perfectly working Windows 7 and Office 2007.  This seems dangerous if I am not sure my computer has necessary hardware.

HP Recommended

I can understand that.  If you are uncertain, buy a new hard drive (about $50 for a 1TB drive) and install Windows 10 on the new drive.  Or you can make a full backup to a separate media, if you desire.  Then if that is good, install MS Office on the new Windows install.  Remember that the media and product key will be needed to do that.  That way the present Windows 7 install is intact.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your time and effort.  I'm not sure how to install a new drive.  I think I am going to leave my desktop alone.  Instead I have a laptop that I will go ahead and try to install windows 10 on and try it out.  I really hate being forced to do this.  I like windows 7 and neither need nor want all the fancy new stuff.  I don't own a smart phone and do nothing in the cloud.  I want my stuff on my computer in my house.  I just want to surf the internet, email and once in a great while write a document.  Finally and at last Microsoft may convince me to buy a Chromebook!

HP Recommended

Well it is not mandatory.  You can continue to use Windows 7, even after support has ended.  There are people still using WinXP and Vista.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

Hi Friend,

Here's a news flash currently listed as an advisory on the MS  website for all us Windows 7 holdouts. It reads:

‘While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended...’

When MS first rolled out Windows 10, hidden among other updates and installed the unwanted ‘endowment’ without my consent on my computer late one evening while I was in bed, I promptly contacted MS the next day to roll it back to Window 7 after I realized many of my programs had become corrupted. As an encore, I had to do a complete system recovery to restore my rig to its original factory settings and reload all my favorite programs. An absolute fiasco, bar none! And to add insult to injury, I later discovered the drivers for my product, HP Pavilion h9-1135, purchased in July 2012, were never updated by the HP 'brain trusts' to allow an upgrade to Windows 10.

Consequently, I found a new machine that matches all the specs of my existing rig that I'll have to pay more to purchase. In the meantime, I can still use my computer as is until January 14, 2020, when support for Windows 7 officially expires, after which it will be 'as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle'.  It sickens me that I'll have to eventually part with one of my prized possessions, tweaked to my liking and still in excellent condition.  But at least I’ll have the consolation of being able to salvage all my hard drives, installing them in my new purchase and the satisfaction that it will not be an HP product.

Sound bitter? It's curious that I’ve still got a Black & Decker toaster and a Cuisinart coffeemaker that are both far older than my HP Pavilion h9-1135!

So, thanks a ‘butt load’ for the wonderful gift that kept on giving, 'Meg'.

800px-Meg_Whitman_crop.jpg

HP Recommended

Well you are welcome to have your own opinion.  FYI: All OEM products are going to be the same.  Only a custom built PC will escape eventually being obsolete, as long as it is continuously updated/upgraded.  Blaming HP or going to another brand will not solve any problem.

The toaster or coffee maker will only function as intended, no matter how old they get, because they do not require any other function than what it was designed to do.  The PC will still function as designed using the installed OS and accessories.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
@TheOldMan wrote:

Well you are welcome to have your own opinion.  FYI: All OEM products are going to be the same.  Only a custom built PC will escape eventually being obsolete, as long as it is continuously updated/upgraded.  Blaming HP or going to another brand will not solve any problem.

The toaster or coffee maker will only function as intended, no matter how old they get, because they do not require any other function than what it was designed to do.  The PC will still function as designed using the installed OS and accessories.

My PC was hardly a stock item, but it was ‘custom built' to my specifications when I had the opportunity to mix and match various components before I ordered it. However, I didn't have the luxury of choosing my OS since Windows 7 was the standard at the time. Nevertheless, my 2012 PC was not included in the recent list of HP's computers that could be upgraded to Windows 10.

Perhaps a better analogy even though I had spent a lot more money for my HP Pavilion then I did for my Black & Decker toaster or Cuisinart coffee maker would have been if my 2003 Subaru (also in excellent condition) had made obsolete due to a fictional decision by the automaker to phase out all petroleum-based fuel engines, thereby forcing owners to power their vehicles (if they were convertible), with the newest future technology, namely, hydrogen. Nevertheless, I’m sure my older vehicle could ‘still function as designed' but only if gasoline was an option!

HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

My PC was hardly a stock item, but it was ‘custom built' to my specifications when I had the opportunity to mix and match various components before I ordered it. However, I didn't have the luxury of choosing my OS since Windows 7 was the standard at the time. Nevertheless, my 2012 PC was not included in the recent list of HP's computers that could be upgraded to Windows 10.

Perhaps a better analogy even though I had spent a lot more money for my HP Pavilion then I did for my Black & Decker toaster or Cuisinart coffee maker would have been if my 2003 Subaru (also in excellent condition) had made obsolete due to a fictional decision by the automaker to phase out all petroleum-based fuel engines, thereby forcing owners to power their vehicles (if they were convertible), with the newest future technology, namely, hydrogen. Nevertheless, I’m sure my older vehicle could ‘still function as designed' but only if gasoline was an option!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.