Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp omen pc 880
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got one dim of 8 gig memory already installed that it came with.

I want to add another 8 gig.

I know I require DDR4 ram.

However, I'm not sure of the speed.   The label on the ram, only says a serial number product of china, and 

8gb 1RX8

PC4-2666v-UA2-11

I'm assuming that means it's speed is 2666?

If so, it's a tough one to find, is it possible I put another 8gig dim in, of only 2400 ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TJ-Hooker

What is your Omen 880 ? Must be 880-something. Please check its label. The following machine already has 32GB of RAM

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05862009

and Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Updated: I saw your other post and the specs of your 880-065a is

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05599681

You can only use the above RAM (in red) 2666 is just a number, not for RAM in this case.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@TJ-Hooker

What is your Omen 880 ? Must be 880-something. Please check its label. The following machine already has 32GB of RAM

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05862009

and Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture
  • Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports PC4-19200 (DRR4-2400)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Updated: I saw your other post and the specs of your 880-065a is

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c05599681

You can only use the above RAM (in red) 2666 is just a number, not for RAM in this case.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hey there I'm in Australia and they're different here.

There's only 1 X 8gig dim in there, confirmed this by opening and physcially looking as well as on the system.

880-065a

HP Recommended

@TJ-Hooker

Your first consideration should be HP Sales or HP Support when considering memory replacement or upgrades. If you want to consider other manufacturers then the easiest way to avoid memory problems is to contact one of the major memory manufacturers. I am recommending that you try the memory tools from these manufacturers: Corsair, Kingston and Crucial. Once you have determined the dimms that you need, then contact sales or technical support to verify that you have selected the correct dimms. If you buy directly from the manufacturers, then they will stand behind their products.

If you want to go it alone, then use CPU-Z to determine the exact specifications of the existing dimm. I have doubt that HP would put an Intel XMP profile dimm in your PC but CPU-Z should confirm that doubt.

Be advised that there have been issues posted on the net of memory issues (perhaps not HP) with using memory dimms with the latest AMD socketed motherboards.  BIOS updates were the typical solution along with a published Qualified Vendors List.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks for that Dave.

I ran CPU-Z, and it says that I have 8 gigs of DDR4 ram.

DRAM frequency is 1330.6 MHz.

So which speed ddr4 ram should I be getting?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@TJ-Hooker

Use CPU-Z and look at the SPD information. What JEDEC frequencies are listed?  That's what I would try to match when adding another dimm.

HP Part Surfer lists two different dimms for your PC:  2133 and 2400

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

@TJ-Hooker

I don't knowyou live, but in Melbourne you can find planty of RAM at CPL, MSY .... they have plenty of RAM and cheap. The MSY guys accept exchange but the CPL guys will charge 5% to 10% for re-stock.

In this case 1333 x 2 = 2666 but as mentioned above, you need 2400.

Other tool also give you the brand of RAM you can buy same brand.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

> 8gb 1RX8 /  PC4-2666v-UA2-11

> I'm assuming that means its speed is 2666?

Correct.  Since it is DDR ("Dual Data Rate RAM"), a motherboard can "clock" it at 1333.

The RAM delivers 1 bit on the "up-slope" of an electronic pulse, and another 1 bit on the "down-slope" of the same pulse, thus delivering "double" the bits per pulse.

You would be best to buy as identical RAM as possible -- namely same number of chips per side,

and with chips on the same number of sides as the existing RAM (either all the chips on one side, or "double-sided").

Note that your motherboard may not be capable of "clocking" at 1333 -- it may clock at 1200 or 1066.

If the latter is true, then both sticks will "downshift" to run at a lower clock-rate.

If you ever intend to "cannibalize" the RAM for your "next" computer, it also would be good to buy the 2666 speed, to get a good "matching-pair".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.