Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion P7 1170t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

With Microsoft stopping support for windows 7-64bit I'm trying to see if I can upgrade my OS to Windows 10-64bit without loosing access to the UEFI partition of the hard drive.  Contrary to other systems I've read that this model has the UEFI bios on the hard drive and not on the motherboard itself.  If I do an in-place upgrade using the media creation tool from Microsoft will I loose access to UEFI Bios component? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Dear Leg-opener (alleged),

This response is based on technical convention and procedure - not direct experience.

HP is the system/hardware (parent), while Windows or any other O/S is the tenant/child operating on/within the parent's parameters ... all operating under the original IBM/UNIX spec (blanket governance).

Thus - The parents space/areas are protected from the child/children (will not allow access/over writing - any bios) which is why you need a specific flash utility to do it (completely separate to the running OS.

I cannot imagine and do not know of any occasion where a Windows installation, or update/upgrade has ever impinged on the HDD/SSD machine bios or other reserved machine code areas. Prior to 2010, the bios was always on the HDD ... Well after the x286 chips and first HDDs (were 3.2Mbyte x 5.25 inch - which at the time was amazingly big/huge ... and Bill Gates was saying his famous "384k is more than enough (RAM) memory ..." (around 1987-88). Bios segments/partitions have always been protected.

I am certain this is still the case, and sure HP would not put it there - if Windows/other O/S's could access it.

Having said that - look through all the messages here about all the dramas everyone (including the top advisors, HP itself and other top manufacturers) are having with Windows 10 (all).

Windows 7 is stable. So they claim they are "stopping support" - after reading in here you will see Windows 10 has no effective support and is far from stable. I know from my own institution (the systems within) the running average for 'fails' (critical/system offline) - following each monthly Windows 10x update is one system in six (guaranteed - average over 14 months - all computers, regardless of size/CPU/configuration).

My point is this - if you are a business, you cannot afford the downtime. Stick with Windows 7 ...

Your call -

Keep well and keep smiling.

Rick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.