Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 27IN CURVED MONITRO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get rid of a pinkish/purple (not sure if color matters) vertical line that is running down the middle of my monitor?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Marlene23 

To answer your questions ...

Yes, it is probably the monitor -- but if you have the screen set to Extended, that might not be the case.  Set the screen to Mirror (so you get the same desktop on both) and see if BOTH the monitors now have the line.

As to repair, it would probably cost a LOT more to repair it than to simply replace it. I had a Dell monitor do this a couple of years back and they wanted %350 to repair it, while I replaced it with a better one for $150.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Marlene23 

That line is an indication of video hardware failure -- either the monitor, or the video chip/card in your PC, or both.

You would need to connect a different monitor to your PC.  If the line is still there, the vide chip/card in your PC is failing. If the line is gone, the monitor is failing.

HP Recommended

I have dual monitors connected to my computer, and the line is only on one. As my luck would have it, the line is on the newer monitor,  the one designated as the 2nd one. Since my primary monitor doesn't have a line, is it safe to assume that the monitor that has the line is failing? If this is the case, can is be repaired, and if so, is it worth it to repair, or better to buy a new one?

HP Recommended

@Marlene23 

To answer your questions ...

Yes, it is probably the monitor -- but if you have the screen set to Extended, that might not be the case.  Set the screen to Mirror (so you get the same desktop on both) and see if BOTH the monitors now have the line.

As to repair, it would probably cost a LOT more to repair it than to simply replace it. I had a Dell monitor do this a couple of years back and they wanted %350 to repair it, while I replaced it with a better one for $150.

HP Recommended

Thank you, I just set the screen to mirror and the line is only on one monitor. I will be contacting HP first, as I have only had the this monitor for about 4 months.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.