Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Simple Save
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Simple Save always just backed up new files. Now when I plug it in, it wants to back up my whole computer and it just grinds and grinds. All I want are my new files backed up. Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @fran62 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Follow the steps given below:

My Options

HP SimpleSave has several options for backup plan customization.

To access the options page, click My Options in the HP SimpleSave welcome screen.

File Types & Locations HP SimpleSave automatically backs up the most common file types on your computer’s primary hard drive by default.

You can use the File Types & Locations option to modify these settings. Click Search only these locations to specify specific drives or folders you want HP SimpleSave to back up.

If you only wanted to back up the “My Documents” folder, you can back up only that folder and no others.

If you want to specify only certain file types to be backed up, use the “+” to navigate to the type of file you want to back up and check the blue box to select the file type.

For example, you may want to back up all of your content except videos, in which case you would deselect the Video Files box.

Note: These settings will remain saved even if you unplug your HP SimpleSave drive.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @fran62 ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned on this link: Click here

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done what you suggested. Still doesn't work. I have Windows 10. Up until about a month ago, when I would plug in my Simple Save, it would find new files and back them up. Now when I plug it in, it just keeps spinning and acts like it wants to back up my whole computer. I also get a message telling me it's the first time I've used it. And yet all my files are there. So now in order to save my new files to Simple Save, I have to click on the files and drag them to Simple Save. 

HP Recommended

Hi @fran62 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Follow the steps given below:

My Options

HP SimpleSave has several options for backup plan customization.

To access the options page, click My Options in the HP SimpleSave welcome screen.

File Types & Locations HP SimpleSave automatically backs up the most common file types on your computer’s primary hard drive by default.

You can use the File Types & Locations option to modify these settings. Click Search only these locations to specify specific drives or folders you want HP SimpleSave to back up.

If you only wanted to back up the “My Documents” folder, you can back up only that folder and no others.

If you want to specify only certain file types to be backed up, use the “+” to navigate to the type of file you want to back up and check the blue box to select the file type.

For example, you may want to back up all of your content except videos, in which case you would deselect the Video Files box.

Note: These settings will remain saved even if you unplug your HP SimpleSave drive.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.