Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy DV-7373
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've tried upgrading to Windows 10 64-bit over 15 times since about 8 months after it became available. I've researched possible solutions until I just couldn't do it anymore. You name it, I've tried it - all except for agreeing to wipe out all my data and software that's currently installed. I refuse to do this just to get Windows 10.

So, my question is, what's going to happen this summer (2016) when Microsoft no longer offers the upgrade for free? My plan is to just use my HP Envy running Windows 8.1 until my laptop dies of old age. Do you know if Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 8.1 by the end of 2016?

Oh, and just for giggles, I've spent almost 12 hours on the phone with Microsoft Support trying to get my laptop upgraded and even 2nd level support couldn't get it upgraded. They had no idea why it wouldn't upgrade. Both 1st and 2nd level support techs even remotely logged on to my laptop to assess my system and run the upgrade themselves and failed.

I hold no hope that anything short of a system wipe out and loss of all my software and data will work...and that's not happening in this lifetime 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Keki

MS has announced that they plan to discontinue the Free Upgrade to Win10 the end of July 2016, and after that, you'll have to pay the going rate for an upgrade -- over $100 USD.

This does keep bouncing back and forth in the tech media, depending on where you go, but to date, MS has not gone back on this announcement with any indication that they plan to continue the Free Upgrade.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the chart of the MS Windows support life cycles...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

HP Recommended

Keki

MS has announced that they plan to discontinue the Free Upgrade to Win10 the end of July 2016, and after that, you'll have to pay the going rate for an upgrade -- over $100 USD.

This does keep bouncing back and forth in the tech media, depending on where you go, but to date, MS has not gone back on this announcement with any indication that they plan to continue the Free Upgrade.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.