Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d394 All-in-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have a really strange question this time. Where did my Atapi CD/DVD Drive disappear to in Setup Utility?

Wanting to install Linux Mint along side Windows 10. A common thing to do these days. Bearing in mind that what I am going to explain is something I have done a number of times before.

In order to do this I have to shut down my machine. Then restart and press F10 immediately number of times to bring up the HP Setup Utility.  Then go to Storage Tab of Setup Utility, then down to Boot Order.

So now we have in front of us the UEFI Boot Order. Right below that You have as follows...

Windows Boot Manager

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive

UEFI IPv4 Realtec PCI

UEFI IPv6 Realtect PCI

However the list should include "Atapi CD/DVD Drive"  (not sure of exact context, but this is close)

Now before I started working in here for installing the Linux the Atapi was there. I had used it for practice , etc. But now for some reason it has totally disappeared. That is my problem! Where did it go? I need it there! Thanks so much for helping me.   

Loy Banks(80 Years Old)

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

It's good to see you kickin' butt on the PC at 80 years young!

Click the Start button and type Device Manager into the Windows search bar.

Open the Device Manager and look for the DVD/CD Drives category.(It should be right after Display Adapters)

If the category is there then click the + next to it and right click on your DVD drive and choose Remove to uninstall it, then reboot, allow Windows to reinstall the DVD/CD drive, then check the BIOS again.

If the DVD/CD drives category is not there then In Device Manager, click Action, select Scan for Hardware Changes, and then wait for Windows to find and install the CD/DVD drive.

If it cannot find the drive then check the cords/cables to the DVD/CD drive.

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help. However nothing worked. One point this DVD/CD Drive is internal, part of the machine. Not external. So I still need help. Thanks.

Loy Banks - Gramps to 11
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.