Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 750-055xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When the Support Assistant is installing an update, one of its steps is to create a system restore point.  However, the restore point is never in the list of existing restore points.

Other restore points get created just fine and I have hundreds of GBs of disk available and the restore point disk space allocation is barely used at all.

Curiously,

Larry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@larrymcgThis is the info I received on HPSA restore points.It seems to be OS behavior:

• For Win7 HPSA records all the actions for each driver installation, but for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, Windows skips creating a new restore point if any restore points have been created within the last 24 hours.
  • For more detailed information here is an MSDN link that shows that this is the OS's behavior

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi! @larrymcg

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you need to know how to create a restore point from hp support assistant.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

You cannot use HP support assistant to create a system restore point. 

However, you can perform a system restore using HP support assistant. Please find the steps mentioned below.

Click the My PC box in the My Devices window.

Click the Storage tab.

The Storage window opens.

To perform a Microsoft System Restore, click Microsoft System Restore. The System Restore tool opens. Follow the onscreen instructions to use this tool.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Please find the steps recommended below to create a system restore on your PC.

1- Go to the Start menu, or click the search box and type Create a restore point and hit Enter to open the legacy "System Protection" settings page to configure the feature.

2- While in "System Properties" under the "System Protection" tab, make sure to check your Windows drive (typically C) has Protection turned On.

3- If Protection it's turned Off the Create button won't be available. The next step is to select the drive you have installed Windows (system) and click on the Configure button.

4- Once inside of "Restore Settings" make sure to select "Turn on system protection" to enable the feature.

Note: System Restore can only be enabled per supported drive, no per computer. If you have additional drives, you may not be able to configure them.

Under "Disk Space Usage," you can adjust the maximum storage space dedicated to storing restore points. By default, Windows only uses a small percentage of the total available storage of a particular drive, and as the reserved space fills up, older restore points will get deleted to make room for future ones.

You will also notice a Delete button that will erase all the current saved restore points. You may want to use this option when you need to create a manual restore point, and you can't allocate more space.

5- After configuring your preferences, click Apply and then OK. Now, you'll see that under the system drive now has Protection turned On.

To configure a restore point manually, simply click the Create button, and type a description to help you identify the restore point (e.g., System Restore Point before installing X app). Then click the Create button to complete the process. (Restore points creation are fast, it shouldn't take longer than a minute.)

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

MrRobot,  I guess you didn't read my original post.  I am certainly not looking to create a system restore point from the hp support assistant.  I will state my issue once again:

When the support assistant does an update, one of the steps it announces is the creation of a restore point.

My issue is that the restore point does not get created even though the support assistant says it is creating one.

-- Larry

PS: Restore points do get created for various other system operations and they are visible.   I have been using restore points on Windows for many, many years and know how to configure them.

HP Recommended

@larrymcg, Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned the issue is creating the restore point using the support assistant.

Are you able to create a restore point with the normal method on your PC as I have suggested in my previous thread?

If the HP support assistant is not creating the restore point, Please uninstall the HP support assistant from your PC.

And install the latest version of HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Please update the HP support assistant using this link.

If you are unable to create a system restore on your PC, please try the steps recommended below.

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key: Note Your system registry may not contain the following entry. If it does not, try Method 2.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VxDMon
Change the DelayFirstRstpt value from 1 to 0:
In the right pane, click DelayFirstRstpt.
On the Edit menu, click Modify.
In the Value data box, type
0, and then click OK.
Restart your computer.
Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Restore to start the System Restore utility, and then create a restore point.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This conversation is going nowhere since MrRobot doesn't actually read my message.

I'm done with this.

-- Larry

HP Recommended

@larrymcg, It's been great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your effort and time.

As you mentioned that you are not looking to create a system restore point from the hp support assistant.

You cannot just disable creating system restore on support assistant, you have to disable the update settings in HP support assistant.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Choose how you would like to receive software updates from HP section, you can change the following settings:
If you want important updates installed automatically, click Install important updates automatically when possible.
If you want important and recommended updates installed automatically, click Install important and recommended updates automatically when possible.
To view more install options, click More options.
If you want to choose which updates to install, click Check for updates, but let me choose when updates to download and install.
If you do not want HP Support Assistant to check for updates, click Never check for updates.

To change update settings, click Windows Update settings on the right side of the window. A Windows update window opens. Click the settings you want to change, and then complete the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@larrymcg Actually, my HPSA isn't creating any visible Restore points either. I am using a barely 2 week old laptop (loaner from HP) and just checked. I have never thought to check before so not sure if any version of HPSA on previous laptops ever did this. Hmm, false sense of security? 

The suggestion in Mr Robot's next to last reply of uninstalling HPSA and installing latest version "might" fix it but I really don't know. I will update here if I learn anything more.

HP Recommended

@larrymcgThis is the info I received on HPSA restore points.It seems to be OS behavior:

• For Win7 HPSA records all the actions for each driver installation, but for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, Windows skips creating a new restore point if any restore points have been created within the last 24 hours.
  • For more detailed information here is an MSDN link that shows that this is the OS's behavior

HP Recommended

@CherylG I am in the same situation as the OP. In response to the statement that the assistant will not create a restore point if one has been made in the last 24 hours, that does not appear to be true on my system. I have not had an occasion to create a restore point and the support assistant said that it was creating one. No restore point is listed.

Not sure what the point is. Updates have made my computer significantly less useful than it was before they were  installed.

HP Recommended

I just abandoned a call with HP support where the tech did not seem to understand that HP support assistant DOES NOT create restore points during an update install, as it says it does

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.