Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,  

My Pavilion 15 laptop has Windows 10 and I'd like to make it multiboot Ubuntu, XP, Win 10.

I'm wondering if  can safely delete any of the partitions to make space for the other OSes.

I've got 

1) 650MB  Recovery Partition

2) 260MB EFI System partition

3) 909 GB  Windows 10 (C:)

4) 858MB Recovery Partition

5) 20 GB  OEM Partition RECOVERY (D:)

from reading, I think I need to keep 1 and 2, shrink 3 to make space. BUT, I'm not sure about 4 and 5.  do I need them both? I do want to be able to use the standard tools to recover/restore  Win10 if needed.

thanks.

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You need #5 Recovery partition to reinstall Windows when needed. Of course usually when making changes to other partitions you mess up the function of that partition anyway. Make your Recovery Media before making any changes and then you can get rid of it.

Creating Recovery Media>>Windows 10

#4 I believe is the partition Windows 10 creates to enable doing a system refresh or reset.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You need #5 Recovery partition to reinstall Windows when needed. Of course usually when making changes to other partitions you mess up the function of that partition anyway. Make your Recovery Media before making any changes and then you can get rid of it.

Creating Recovery Media>>Windows 10

#4 I believe is the partition Windows 10 creates to enable doing a system refresh or reset.

HP Recommended

Have you upgraded from previous version of Windows to Windows 10?

If that is the case, then you can delete partition 1) and 5).

partition 1) is the recovery partition of previous Windows. 5) is the factory recovery partition that allows you to restore system to factory default settings. after upgrading to Windows 10, the recovery partition is not available.

certainlt, 2) you cannot delete. if you delete 4), you won't be able to use Windows 10 recovery options.

There is an article addressed this: Windows recovery partitions

HP Recommended

Thanks, yes, it was originally Windows 8.

so #5 is the facory partition that in theory could return to factory win8? so no use now!

I currently have no recovery DVD/USB or other windows 8/10 install disks - how would I recover to win10 if the HDD failed? would I have to buy retail Windows 10?

thanks,

Jon

HP Recommended

That the factory recovery partition is not available to use was addressed on Microsoft website, but that article was removed. Maybe,now it will work.

You can create an image backup in Windows 10 of your current system (Windows 10). 

HP Recommended

Once Windows 10 is installed and activated your laptop has lifetime installation rights. You can use the free Media Creation Tool from MS to make a USB or DVD.

When installing using this and you get to the page to enter license key-Skip. Once installed and connected online it wil activate from MS servers using your hardware profile stored there.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Thank you both, I've got everything I need now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.