cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rich2525
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Why did erase all and go to factory settings?

HP Recommended
DESKTOP-BOS1SG4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi, 

I hope everyone out there is safe and well. I need help logged into computer today and first thing I see is desktop wiped clean. No wallpaper, no desktop files, no files anywhere, all of my files vanished, printer is not hooked up, Microsoft office not downloaded - seems like went back to factory settings. I have seen that there has been a lot of issues with Windows 10 upgrades specifically KB4532693, but I didn't select this download or see it in recent automatic downloads. Only thing I see is early this morning there was a Microsoft OneDrive update 137MB 19.232.1124.0012. I also see there were two Microsoft Virtual C ++ 2017 redistributable updates on April 24. Not sure what these are. Could any of this caused the issue?

*Also, other user account on this desktop is perfectly fine. 

Thank you to anyone who can help advise me here. Desperately need help on this. Thanks so much!!!!!

Rich

3 REPLIES 3
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 704
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Please understand I am about to get egg all over my fizzog.

Is there a list of users in USERS?

Is there a WINDOWS.OLD?

These are places I would look, but not necessarily find.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/840001/how-to-restore-deleted-user-accounts-and-their-group...

Unlikely for a home user, but I thought I would mention it.

So

https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/recover-deleted-user-profile-and-files-in-windows-10.html

0 Kudos
Rich2525
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi, this was very helpful. In users I found most if not all files that were on desktop under the username. So I found everything but Do you know why it exists here but not on the desktop when I login to my account on the homepage.

My passwords do not work for websites I have accounts for why would that be?

Should I move all the files over to this desktop?  I didn't click on the other links you sent, should I. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Rich

0 Kudos
Lil_Boy_Blue
Level 12
7,692 7,654 332 704
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

i cannot say what you should choose, never had to do it, only dropped my old user profile into an over the top re-install.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation