Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
All-In-One Model 20-c023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Downloaded the 16GB Cloud recovery package Windows 10 64 bit and the USB flash drive boots fine. 
It preps the disk, reboots, and loads the software,

then boots again and then gives error. 
Title bar says Recovery Manager,
message is The recovery attempt has failed.  Select one of the following buttons.
1.Save log = did it, 25 MB zip file.  File unzips to 374 files, 72 folders, 91MB
2.Details = opens  CTOERROR.FLG in notepad, Contents read 

Component: Windows 10 PIN Diagnostic Tools ReD - CPS

Timing: FactoryUpdate

Error: Incorrect brand name [Unknown]
  Expected Brand Name from FB [HPC]
Next Step:  Please check Model Name or Feature Byte

3. Retry=reboot to endless loop
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I booted a MS Win 10 setup flash drive, and opened command line, and it looks like windows installed fine.

I have no idea where to go from here.

I've already put in more time than is justified, but hate to see it go in the dumpster.

Has anyone seen this?

Comments appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@DOS1Vet 

What state is the machine in at present?  You said the recovery failed, but can you boot to a working desktop?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Machine was hung in presumed endless loop. (only booted it about 6 or 8 times so I'm not sure) 

I had stepped through the HP Recovery set that I downloaded from their (rather dreary) cloud recovery option twice, and it worked flawlessly until it didn't, twice.  Also presumed endless loop.

But I have resolved the situation.

Downloaded the latest Win 10 10 (real dog) from MS, and installed it.

The dog picked up the activation key from UEFI, like it was a favorite bone and activated itself.

Better news, it was a current download and didn't need updates.

How to tell if this will work on your PC?

If it doesn't have a License key sticker, the key is probably in the UEFI.

If it does, then it probably isn't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.