Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0082a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to do the latest Windows 10, Version 2004 feature update and it won't accept the selection to use an external storage device as it still keeps going to the screen to free up space on the C Drive.

I've already got 20 GB of Free space, but it wants more and I have deleted everything I can.  And I have clicked on the "Fix Issues" but it still goes in circles and required more space on the C Drive.

Obviously, buying a computer with only 125 GBs for the C Drive is not sufficient.

Does anyone have a solution to this windows issue?

Please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SergeiJ,

You only have 2 choices beyond what has been said.  WIN 10 iso is 3.5GB.   After WIN 10 is installed, it can be 25-40GB.   Your will have to make a painful decision.

1) Move these folders to an external USB device: picture, documents , music.

2) Purchase a new boot device and clone your old device. 

The original 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD gets cloned to a new NVMe.

3) IMHO, the Samsung EVO Pro 500GB is excellent.  You will need the following, aside from the new NVMe.

a) Samsung Data migration software for cloning

b) USB3.0 to NVMe adapter. This has USB3 and USB C cables. After the cloning, you swap the devices. You get to keep the 128GB and adapter as an external device.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@SergeiJ

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I understand your concerns

Please refer to these 2 links

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05449785

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03458013

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy,

I saw those links previously and have done everything in them,  I have even compressed all my drives.

The issue is that my C drive has 22,274,797,568 bytes (20.7 GB) free and the Windows update is still asking for 1.79 GB of free space. The request for this much space for the windows download is incredible.

However, the problem is with Microsoft because their update program says you should be able to select an alternative drive to download the update to.  But then it ignores that and just tries to find the free space in the C Drive.

Can you please just go back to Microsoft and tell them their update program won't download to an external drive and get them to fix it.  Alternatively,  is their a way to download the update manually to an external drive?

I appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

@SergeiJ

I understand your concerns.

We do not have option to take the remote control of your computer and check.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@SergeiJ,

You only have 2 choices beyond what has been said.  WIN 10 iso is 3.5GB.   After WIN 10 is installed, it can be 25-40GB.   Your will have to make a painful decision.

1) Move these folders to an external USB device: picture, documents , music.

2) Purchase a new boot device and clone your old device. 

The original 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD gets cloned to a new NVMe.

3) IMHO, the Samsung EVO Pro 500GB is excellent.  You will need the following, aside from the new NVMe.

a) Samsung Data migration software for cloning

b) USB3.0 to NVMe adapter. This has USB3 and USB C cables. After the cloning, you swap the devices. You get to keep the 128GB and adapter as an external device.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

thanks WB2001.

Much appreciated.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.