Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-349 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have recently reinstalled windows 10 onto my computer (From windows 10 to windows 10 again) and I wiped my HDD so it can reformat properly for the windows installation. After the install I then needed to reactivate my windows by putting in my product key, after searching  physically inside and all over my computer I cannot seem to find any key to activate my windows licences. (When I bought my computer it had windows 8 then I upgraded to windows 10 for free without problem) I am currently suck, Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just activated my windows by contacting support, gave them my detail and every thing is okay. For others who have this problem just go to the link https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-gb/co... and select chat, tell him your scenario and it should be fine!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just activated my windows by contacting support, gave them my detail and every thing is okay. For others who have this problem just go to the link https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-gb/co... and select chat, tell him your scenario and it should be fine!

HP Recommended

@Infernal, welcome to the forum.

The Product Key with Win 8 was embedded in the BIOS.  Therefore, when you upgraded to Win 10 it automatically activated for you.  When you did the reinstall if you used the Recovery media from HP you should have no problems.  At this point, I believe that your best option is to contact Microsoft's Customer Service for help.  They are the only ones who can activate Win 10.  HP is only limited to one install of the OS.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

>  it had windows 8 then I upgraded to windows 10 for free without problem ...

At the first install of Windows 10, it took a "fingerprint" of your hardware, and Microsoft keeps that fingerprint in their database.

So, if you reinstall Windows 10 (from media [USB or DVD disks] that you created), you do _NOT_ need to enter the product-key.  With an Internet connection, it will retrieve the "fingerprint", and activation will work.

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12440/windows-10-activation

If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10  ... you have a digital license for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital license for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, you can skip this step. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.