Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy model 750-267C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy 750-267 running windows 10 64 bit os build 19041.329 June 9th.  A couple days ago a message popped up saying windows needs to restart to finish the update. (not sure what update since I didn't update anything. I'm assuming it was an automatic update from microsoft windows) I selected restart later at like 3am.  The next morning my windows desktop screen was up with error message saying not enough memory to finish and the screen was flickering bad.  So I restart, it gets all the way to my desktop in windows but it flickers out of control. No mention about low memory now. I can start in safe mode (in safe mode now writing this) I can get to settings but the update tab says try again later so I cant see what was the last update and roll it back.  I'm stuck and need help to fix this or get that last update removed?  Thanks for any help. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Toyota3 

There was an update, KB4567523, to build 19041.331, that came out on June 18th -- but that was to address printer spooling issues and was NOT supposed to be delivered through Windows Update.  You had to go to Microsoft Update Catalog, download it manually, and install it manually.

I have three PCs running Win10 v20.04 Bld 19041.329 and none of them have been offered any windows updates.

Did you FORCE the update to Win10 v20.04, or were you offered it via Windows Update? Asking because if the former, then you should look into rolling the PC back to Win10 v10.09 and leaving it there until MS sorts out their issues over Win10 v20.04.  I've already had to do that to one of my PCs due to issues I ran into with several apps that no longer work properly under Win1`0 v20.04.

Here's the MS thread about their Win10 v20.04 issues:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

So I'm not sure how exactly I got the update. A message popped up saying in order to finish the upate your computer needs to restart. I was busy at the time so I set a time in the middle of the night to restart. The next day it asked for my windows password and then it went to the desktop which tried to load but was just flickering like crazy (same as it is now) I can do control alt delete, get to task manager and restart it, but same thing. So i've been in safe mode and when I try to roll back to previous version through settings and update/security, the windows update area just says there is a problem, try again later.

So I guess I need help with the process to be able to roll back to previous windows version, through safe mode or command prompt or some way other than from settings.

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@Toyota3 

This is one of the main reason why I mage image backups every week -- when Windows Update messes up your PC, there is no simple way to restore it back to a previous working version.

Without a separate backup, the only way to RollBack to a prior Windows version is using Windows Update and if that does not work, you would have to resort to something more difficult known as a Repair-Install.  While the good news is that this leaves data, settings, and apps intact, the bad news is that it has to be run from inside Windows.

So, if you can't boot into a working windows desktop, you can't do that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Assuming you have restore points set in system restore 🙂

You have a few options:

1. Open the task manager back up and click on File/Run New Task and type in: rstrui

and it will pull up System Restore.(if you see a blank page just click More Options, then File/Run New Task

2. From the main recovery window you can click
System recovery/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/System Restore
(Just hold the power button down for 4 seconds and power down the computer then hit the escape button once every second after starting it back up.)

"Uninstall Updates" should be there too.

3. System Restore from Command Prompt is rstrui.exe

Here are some more tip for working within Safe Mode

*Just a community member, not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.