Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-xa0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I have recently purchased an HP pavilion all in one pc . I was truly awed the first week. But only 1 month after, I noticed that the 128 GB SSD storage had been already halved. This was worrisome to me because If this trend keeps up, it will be capped by the end of the second month. After reading several resources and contacting the seller, I was told I could simply move apps from the 128 SSD to the 1 TB HDD. I attempted this advice, but most apps have the ''move'' button greyed out, indicating this is not possible. For 3 out 6 apps (50%) I could uninstall the apps and reinstall them by specifying the location on the HDD. The 3 other apps did not provide this option. The seller has also informed me that it is possible to install the OS onto the HDD, however they would not walk me through this procedure for liability reasons. I was able to reduce the storage consumption from half to about a third after removing unused download files and temporary files. I could assert that my contribution to the SSD usage implies 10 GB (given that the Windows 10 OS occupies a good 30 GB from the start) totalizing about 40 GB, rendering an available 75 GB (approximately). I would hate to have to exchange this computer with another having more SSD storage because it looks fancy, it's space efficient, has touchscreen capabilities, embeds a camera, has a modest processor and a decent amount of random access memory. It is ideal for my home use. Is there a user-friendly possibility to install the OS on the 1 TB HDD? Could you perhaps provide me with better suggestions regarding the app space consumption?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@M2020 

I don't know what is your HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-xa0xxx but looks like it has

•    128GB M.2 SSD
  •     1TB normal HDD

Firstly: that is true, you can't move all apps/programs to other physical/logical drive. Many apps/programs must reside on boot drive (normally C:)

Secondary: Installing OS and all apps to slower drive is NOT a good idea, why we have to spend more money to get SSD + HDD set up then keep OS and programs/apps on slower drive ?

With me, 128GB is plenty of room for apps and OS. One of my test machines has 128GB and I throw many test programs on it from time to time but it still has 30% free space. I do not keep my data/files on it, but on my NAS or external drives.

In your case, I believe 128GB is still plenty of room, it is your data/files filling up 128GB. Now, simply move users data/files to the 1TB HDD and set it as default to store users data/files (photos, videos, ....) using following way to setup:

https://www.howtogeek.com/245706/how-to-change-the-default-hard-drive-for-saving-documents-and-apps-...

If replacing 128GB with a larger one is still on the card, I need to know EXACTLY what is your HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-xa0xxx  first. For example HP Pavilion All-in-One - 24-xa0510nd, its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06386863

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the concise response.

The model is actually an HP Pavilion All-in-One 24 -xa0029c.

Do I still have the option to upgrade the SSD storage capacity from 128 GB to something greater? Ideally this would be a reassuring avenue, since it would resolve premature storage saturation of my PC. 

Then again, your post is informative because I was able to free up 15 GB just by removing or displacing files to the 1 TB HDD. This does explain the reason why I was under the impression that storage capacity was low on the 128 GB SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.