Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Most Likely Paul Is Going To Answer This. lls So Paul How Do I Download Windows 10 On An Old Motherboard With No Drivers Update Support etc? You've Helped Me With The Drivers, Bios, And All Sorts Of Things With Your Solutions. I'm Currently Running Vista, Motherboard Is A  IPIBL-LB iNSIDE a a6400f. I Put A Q9650 I believe Inside. 500 wATT Power Supply.  Four 2gb sticks of ram.  (This Fan Seems Louder But Hey) Need Help! I Have Windows 10 Pro But It Won't Boot From The Usb Drive.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are running Windows Vista on your PC, you can't do an in-place upgrade to W10.

You can only do that on PC's that have W7 or newer installed.

In your case, you would have to clean install W10 and reinstall your programs and files.

Rufus won't help with that, and it doesn't work with DVD's only USB flash drives and you indicated in your original post that you can't boot the PC from a USB flash drive.

The only note of caution is that if the clean install fails, and you don't have a way to reinstall Windows Vista, you will have to purchase Vista recovery media for your PC from this third party vendor:

I also note that the recovery media is for Windows Vista 32 bit.

Computer Surgeons - Recovery Kit KZ856AV For HP Model Number a6400f

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you can boot from a DVD, here is the link to the W10 version 2004 64-bit English (US) ISO file.

https://software.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/Win10_2004_English_x64.iso?t=8a757156-eea2-4544... 

This was the last ISO file that could fit on a standard DVD.

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

Use this free DVD burning software to burn the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable, or if you already have a DVD burning app on your PC, use that, but it has to have the burn ISO file option.

Under the 'More Downloads' section link on the Downloads section, select the file 'Default Installer without InstallCore.'

CDBurnerXP: Downloads

After you get version 2004 installed you can update to the latest version by clicking on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response unfortunately the file wont fit it says 5.1 when Nero 11 pops up. i tried to download the burner you recommended but it keeps saying your clock is ahead even after i have adjusted the date and time. frustrating 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I have zipped up and attached the CD burner XP installation file below.

If the CD Burner XP app also indicates that the file size is too large to copy to a standard DVD, here is the link to an older version of W10 which should have a smaller file size.  This was the previous version to 2004.

https://software.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/Win10_1909_English_x64.iso?t=a943b6f2-bf08-48f9... 

I know these files should work because the only time I switched to putting them on a USB flash drive was when they became too large to fit on a 4.7 GB DVD.

It would be nice if your PC would boot from a USB flash drive but some of those older models don't.

I have an old HP notebook that lists the USB flash drive as a boot option in the F9 boot options menu, but the notebook will not boot from it no matter what.

HP Recommended

Thanks the cd software unzipped fine buti'm not that savy with windows so sorry for keep asking questions but the new file says its not enough space on that software as well. The file is 5024 MB These DVD'S Only Have 4489 MB available to write. I don't get wy i can't just upgrade to windows 10 then 11. I Own a legit copy of windows 10 with a product key can't even boot that up about ready to give up. I've spent days for something that should take 15 mins. 

HP Recommended

OK, I found an older version that should work.

This one has a file size of 4.03 GB.

https://software.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/Win10_1703_English_x64.iso?t=c981ac09-8d8e-44e1... 

HP Recommended

OK So I've Downloaded The file To The Disk But It Keep Saying Windows installation can not be started from the current operating system. To install windows, boot the media installation media, or upgrade from supported blah blah blah. I Read something about rufus i don't know kind of stuck Paul.

HP Recommended

If you are running Windows Vista on your PC, you can't do an in-place upgrade to W10.

You can only do that on PC's that have W7 or newer installed.

In your case, you would have to clean install W10 and reinstall your programs and files.

Rufus won't help with that, and it doesn't work with DVD's only USB flash drives and you indicated in your original post that you can't boot the PC from a USB flash drive.

The only note of caution is that if the clean install fails, and you don't have a way to reinstall Windows Vista, you will have to purchase Vista recovery media for your PC from this third party vendor:

I also note that the recovery media is for Windows Vista 32 bit.

Computer Surgeons - Recovery Kit KZ856AV For HP Model Number a6400f

HP Recommended

Meant to tell you thanks a million the other day before I went out of town. You Completely helped me Paul some people get off work and play video games. For you to take your free time to help people is a god send. I Have another question but I'll start another thread so you can get credit for another one.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.