Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6813w Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can my desktop p6813w be upgraded to Windows 11 ? Health check says "no secured boot" and "TPM not enabled" processors, RAM, storage good. Can I get a new bios to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is nothing you can do to make your PC capable of passing the W11 hardware requirements.

The processor is not supported, it does not have a UEFI BIOS (which is required for secure boot), and it does not have a TPM 2.0 security device.

If you want to run W11 on your PC, you will have to use one of the several W11 hardware check bypass methods to install W11.

I found this method to be the easiest way to do that...

https://dongknows.com/steps-for-windows-11-upgrade-on-unsupported-hardware/ 

Before upgrading to W11, I recommend that you make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is nothing you can do to make your PC capable of passing the W11 hardware requirements.

The processor is not supported, it does not have a UEFI BIOS (which is required for secure boot), and it does not have a TPM 2.0 security device.

If you want to run W11 on your PC, you will have to use one of the several W11 hardware check bypass methods to install W11.

I found this method to be the easiest way to do that...

https://dongknows.com/steps-for-windows-11-upgrade-on-unsupported-hardware/ 

Before upgrading to W11, I recommend that you make a system image of your current W10 installation prior to updating to W11, so you can easily reinstall W10 in the future.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

HP Recommended

Thanks for your posts on this issue. I have a slightly used Z440, no hard drives. I am going to use RAID1 for a pair of 1TB SSDs for the OS. I looked at your info and links on enabling an install of Windows 11 on non-supported hardware. It seems relatively straightforward. Since I am starting from clean SSDs, and am not really "upgrading" Windows 10,  do you suggest I install Windows 10 from the HP Cloud Installer first, and THEN do the "upgrade"? Also, once successfully installed, will Windows 11 allow me to do periodic Updates, even though it is running on "unsupported" hardware?

I suspect that in the long run there might not be any problems with running Windows 11 on the Z440; many resellers are shipping these machines with Windows 11 preinstalled, it seems.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The method in the link I posted will only work if you currently have W10 installed.

If you want to clean install W11, then I recommend a different approach.

Download the W11 ISO file from the link below (3rd option).

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Use the free Rufus utility to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive and watch this video for the settings you select in Rufus to bypass the W11 hardware checks.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Windows 11: Create bootable USB for unsupported PCs with Rufus - YouTube

HP Recommended

Thank you - very clear.  I learned from another post here that the Z440, if it contains the Windows 10 license, has that indication on the case label (mine does), and obviously, that take care of the Windows license/activation.If I install Win11 without first upgrading from Win10, how is the license/activation handled?

Also, once installed, will future updates of WIn11 proceed smoothly? I'm guessing that once the OS is installed and running, it no longer does hardware "validation" checks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The Z440 came with the operating system options on page 3 of the quickspecs at the link below.

HP Z440 Workstation (hp-pro.net)

If the PC was previously upgraded to W10, or you have the W10 product key then when you go to install W11, you select the version of W11 you want to install (W11 Pro), then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W11 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

If at the end of the installation, you are asked to activate Windows, use the W10 product key on your PC's case.

If none of the above works to activate W11, download and run the free Showkey Plus app from the Microsoft Store.

ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store Apps

Hopefully the report will show a Windows 8.1 Pro OEM product key that is in the BIOS.

If it does, you will have to install Windows 8.1 by downloading the W8.1 ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

You need a program to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable.

You can use the free Rufus utility to do that, or the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

After you get W8.1 installed, click on the blue Update Now button at the link below to get the free upgrade to W10.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Then you can use the link I posted in my solved reply to upgrade from W10 to W11.

You will get all the available security updates for W11.

We will have to see what happens when Microsoft releases the big update to W11 in October.

I imagine that if we are blocked from upgrading due to hardware issues, then we can use the same link I posted in the solved post to upgrade from the old version of W11 to the new version.  At least I'm hoping so.

HP Recommended

Thanks again. Boy, is this beginning to get complicated! This Z440 is only 2 years old, and apparently came with Win10 installed. There is no WIn10 sticker with license number on the case. The bottom of the case, where the S/N label is attached, shows the Win10 designation:Z440_Win10_OS.jpg

So, the BIOS must contain the Win10 product key.  Would I be able to use ShowKey Plus to retrieve the key after the install, but prior to activation? It looks to me like attempting a clean install of WIn11 is the best choice.

HP Recommended

You're good to go then.

I guess the link I posted was out of date.

Select W11 pro when asked what OS you want to install.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W11 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.  It will use the W10 product key in the PC's BIOS.

You won't need the showkey plus app, but you can install it afterward to view the W10 product key.

HP Recommended

Curiously, the latest version of Rufus (3.19) will NOT allow you to skip the Win 11 hardware checks. The last version of Rufus that will allow you to complete this task is Rufus 3.16 - which is still easily available for download from Rufus.

Not sure what this means for the "future" of trying to get around Win11's arbitrary hardware limitations. If the resultant Win11 install will never update properly, then the whole exercise is really just a pointless delaying action, I guess. Took me about 10 minutes to create the bootable Win11 install stick. We'll see what happens when I do the install and try to check for updates.

HP Recommended

I'm not too concerned at this time.

I used this guy's little zip file to do in-place upgrades to many of my HP desktop and notebook PC's that don't meet the W11 requirements by a long shot.

Windows 11 Upgrade Hack on Any Hardware | Dong Knows Tech

A couple don't even have a UEFI BIOS/support secure boot let alone not having a supported processor or TPM 2.0 device.

Worked like a charm.

My plan would be to use it on the new ISO fille when it comes out in October, if on schedule.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.