Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Thought I had dropped on a great topic here and found the answer to my question:-

Solved: Windows 7 pro OA instal - HP Support Community - 7063095

But unfortunately as advised in that thread by @Paul_Tikkanen the Heidoc downloader sadly no longer supports download of the HP COEM Windows 7 64 bit ISO and advises that Microsoft have pulled the ISO.

Does anyone have the specific iso available please by way of Dropbox or OneDrive?

I currently have my old Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed but would very much prefer to run Pro instead.

I shall try the AIO ISO which DGroves kindly provided and see if the Product Key on the 'new' Z420 works with that version.  I won't hold my breath on it working with a retail iso.

Alternatively, if anyone knows the file hash for this iso, I am happy to download it from elsewhere providing I can verify its authenticity through the hash code.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the link to the W7 Pro 64 bit English (US) ISO file.

https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/3/06365375-C346-4D65-87C7-EE41F55F736B/7601.24214.180801... 

The link will be good for 24 hours from the time of this reply.

You can use the Microsoft utility that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the file to a USB flash drive so that it is bootable, or you can use Rufus to do it.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

The OEM product key should work, but you may need to use the automated Microsoft telephone activation system to activate the installation.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have installed a copy from elsewhere for now before I download yours and managed to activate using telephone support.

My first issue now was that it would not update so I manually installed KB3138612 which resolved the Windows Update error.

However, I do not want to use Windows Update for the updates as it will install many superfluous updates.

Initially though before I do the updates, I would like to ensure all the drivers are installed but the HP website will not detect the machine automatically.

I manually downloaded and installed the legacy HP Support Assistant as the latest would not install and kept failing.

I've even entered the serial number manually but it is and has been stuck on trying to detect drivers for a very long time now.  In the past when I have used the HP Support Assistant it has taken moments to detect and provide the list of specific drivers.

And when I click on Updates,  I get this:-

Capture.PNG

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

See if this version of the HPSA works better...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74656.exe 

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying.

Got an msiinstaller signature verification failed error with that.  I'll search for it and re-download from HP to see if that solves it.

Also tried turning Windows Firewall off, all to no avail!

Also downloading your iso now too to try that instead.

When I installed another one, none of the drivers for mobo installed so I manually installed one for network controller.  Not sure it was 100% correct for the installed hardware!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The ISO file I provided was the one from August of 2018 and it has all the patches like the one for Windows Update and it also contains SP1.

Because of this, it is a larger file than the original W7 Pro ISO file of around 3.09 GB.

It will only fit on a 8 GB or larger USB drive or a dual layer DVD.

I believe it is over 5 GB in size.

You may find that some of the W7 drivers will not install unless you are running W7 SP1.

HP Recommended

Thanks.

Just transferring it now.  I'm trying to learn and create a skinny install without Windows telemetry and the like.  Not entirely sure if it will make it that much faster.

I do have Windows 7 SP1 iso installed.  I might just run Windows Update for now and selectively install drivers for HP hardware that I can readily identify.

If I installed all the SP's from HP, then the system would be seriously bloated and I do not need most of it but am unable to identify exactly what drivers I do need.  For the network controller, I went to Device Manage and checked out the Hardware ID which was PCVEN 8680&1502 from rough memory so I search the internet for that and it was clear it was an Intel piece of kit.  Couldn't find 150B only 150B but installed whatever was the closest.   Not really ideal.

AND FINALLY:- Here is a really random suggestion.  I notice BIOS is set to AHCI and not RAID and AHCI as is the default.  I read somewhere that this might cause issue.  Samsung 870 Evo SSD is installed.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am not familiar with the differences between the AHCI only controller setting and the RAID + AHCI setting.

But I do know that the RAID + AHCI setting.is the default drive controller setting.

My HP business desktop PC's just have individual AHCI, RAID or IDE drive controller settings.

According to the manual however, RAID + AHCI setting—Both the RAID and AHCI OPROMs execute.

This emulation mode is the default and offers the best performance and highest functionality.

This is from chapter 2, page 44 of the service manual.

c04205252.pdf (hp.com)

So, you may want to change the drive controller setting to the default RAID + AHCI setting if you plan to use the ISO file I provided to reinstall W7.

HP Recommended

This is the current device issues I am faced with.

Capture.PNG

It's very strange you would have imagined Windows 7 SP1 would have dealt with those.

So now I am going to tweak the BIOS and see if that helps. Failing that, a quick reinstall is on the cards.

HP Recommended

If you re-read what I wrote, I did not indicate that installing SP1 would install any missing devices, I wrote that some drivers may not work unless you had SP1 installed.

Naturally, you have to install drivers for most of the devices on W7.

You need these drivers for some of the devices...

The Intel chipset driver will install some of the devices such as the smbus controller.

Install the driver first and restart the PC.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73254.exe 

You need this driver for the PCI simple comms controller:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72798.exe 

You need this driver for the USB controller:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp65001-65500/sp65043.exe 

You need this driver for the sas controller:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98398.exe 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.