Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I made the fateful error of upgrading with a clean install from Windows 7 HJome Premium to Windows 7 Professional. After much hunting to find the various drivers missing from WIndows, I was able to install a fuly operational Windows 7 Pro, but now I find that it will not update. I have spent hours reviewing and trying the many (often conflicting) "fixes" found on the Internet, but none of them actually fix the problem. The failure of Windows 7 to update seems to be a very common problem, so I am puzzled as to why there is no proven straightforward remedy. It looks like I need to go back to Home Premium, but I thought I would try the forum before surrendering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

That is the problem.

Please read this article, in it's entirety, by Ed Bott.

Using the Win 7 Update Rollup eliminates the problem.

Jay

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Microsoft has finally issued a post Win 7 SP1 update rollup.

Go here for instructions.

It will make getting a clean install of Win 7 up to speed much quicker.

There are some telemetry updates included, see updates with an (*). Here is a list of the updates having Win 10 like telemetry if you want to remove those problematic updates post update installation:

KB2952664
KB2977759
KB3022345
KB3050267
KB3035583
KB3068708*
KB3075249*
KB3080149*
KB3146449

Cheers!

HP Recommended

I should have stated my problem more clearly. It is not that Windows will not install updates, but rather that it will not find any. It goes into the "Checking for updates" mode, but just churns away and never finds any, even though this installation disk is a couple of years old and should need a ton of updates.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That is the problem.

Please read this article, in it's entirety, by Ed Bott.

Using the Win 7 Update Rollup eliminates the problem.

Jay

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, when I try to go "here" I cannot complete the procedure for accessing the Microsoft Update Catalog

site.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You have to use Internet Explorer.

Jay

HP Recommended

Hi,

It's too bad you did not see this HP Forum thread before doing a clean install of Win 7 Pro .

You could have saved a lot of time and frustration.

Jay

HP Recommended

I did start with the Windows Anytime Upgrade, but the installation failed, repeatedly.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Using the KB3083710 and KB3102810 workaround, everything went quickly and smoothly - at least it started quickly - the 180 updates took a while to download and install. I was unable to access the rollup, so I followed the normal update procedure. The important thing is that it worked, and Windows 7 Professional is up to date and running without a hitch.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Jay

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.