Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, I understand.  Still getting hung up at the same relative place.

I would have to say that there is something more wrong than the old hard drive having given out, but what that could be, unfortunately is anyone's guess.

If you didn't use the DVD to boot the media creation tool from, try swapping out the sata data cables from that and the hard drive and see what happens.

HP Recommended

It is up and running. I happened onto the solution late last night. 

As you know, while attempting to boot via USB Media Creation Tool, the same stall/hang up was happening. But then, out of the blue (pun intended), I began receiving BSOD/error restart screens—which also would stall without restarting. Fortunately; those blue screens provided stop code errors. Finally! Something to go on; a hint to research. 

The first was WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR. I know that one well! I promptly took action, reseating everything on the motherboard; cleaning gold tabs on dimms, reseating them, reseating CPU and heat sinks, unplugging/replugging cables... the works. 

That error cleared. but...

The second stop code appeared; MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION. After a bit of research, I went back to the BIOS. On a whim, I decided to disable the onboard LAN first...and le voilà !

HP Recommended

That is great news.

I would have never guess the ethernet adapter would have prevented windows from installing.

If you installed W7 and activated it, you can most likely get the free upgrade to W10 if you want.

Read the info at the link below, and if you want to upgrade, click on the blue Update Now button on the Media creation tool link below the first link.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I recently upgraded an old HP 6200 Pro business desktop PC from W7 to W10 using the above info.

Worked like a champ.

HP Recommended

Again; thank you for your tireless support, and, for the virtual shoulder you provided, listening to me cry the blues for the last few days and sticking by me, "Saint Paul!"... That's where I'm located, as well...well, Minneapolis, to be exact 

By the way; I'm bypassing the onboard LAN with a USB wireless network adapter (Netgear N-300). 

Yes; I did load Win7. However, more than likely, I will upgrade. It's good to know that at this late date, I may still be able to do it for free. So, thanks for the links! And, I'm considering loading ChaletOS, either on one of my WD USB externals, or on the internal HDD as a side-by-side OS. The features intrigue me.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I'm down river from you near St. Louis, MO (O'Fallon, IL).

I'm just glad you were able to get the PC to work again.

HP Recommended

@mcarlucci wrote:

I am attempting to resurrect an older desktop Pavilion p6644y (see specs below) within which the original hard drive had died; it is completely inaccessible. I've purchased a new HDD (see specs below), installed said blank physical device, and am now caught up in the frustrating process of trying to load Windows 7 Home Premium (from disc). NOTE: Budgeting is limited. So, in trying to keep costs down on this project for now, I’m loading Win7 because I own a disc and product key.  I’ll worry about a Windows upgrade later.

The Issue:

The setup sequence gets hung up/freezing at one of two points during the time interval within the first moments of powering up. This happens immediately following the initial driver load where the progression bar is viewed (“ Windows is loading files…”),  right at the point when the logo appears (“Starting Windows”). When booting it in safe mode to view the actual file load sequence, the freeze points are revealed: 

windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys  or…

windows\system32\DRIVERS\ahcix64s.sys

I’ve read quite a few root cause analysis along with possible fixes/solutions, e.g. limiting the RAM, BIOS tweaking (disabling secure boot/UEFI), AHCI etc. But ninja net worth 2020, none have worked. For one thing, my BIOS doesn’t even have a “Security” section here or an option to disable secure boot. The RAM thing (removing a stick/DDR to limit memory to 1 or 2GB) failed.

Desktop Specs: (links provided)

HP Pavilion p6644y SE
H-I41-uATX (Eton) - motherboard

New replacement HDD:

WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM

To me, that previous explanation would seem unlikely because the freeze is preventing me from getting to that data entry screen. But, I thought I'd ask, anyway.

HP Recommended

Hmm!I want  to resolve this issue immediately  resolve one and I have search at the some sides like or other. 

I want to update my all things.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.