Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 790-0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this desktop in March and by May it wasnt updating past windows 1909.  Now December and no update past 1909.  Im a bit disgusted w HP selling a desktop that was obsolete in 2 months.  Can anyone shed any light?  HP and MS are black holes as far as support on this issue.  What I can infer is the Conexant HP Audio is the culprit but...

20201222_115706.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NotAFanBoi 

I understand your frustration but this is entirely Microsoft's doing -- as THEY have implemented the upgrade BLOCKS on PCs, preventing them from updating to Win10 v20.04, and they are the same ones refusing to tell us which hardware is the issue and when they are going to release the locks.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for a reply.  You get what you pay for bit me hard this time.  I would have done better just leasing a computer for 1 year.  My negative list has been long w this thing but I thought maybe if I can at least get the software updated it would be something to work from into the future anyway.  It has just been a pit of despair that I can barely part out now.  Sad customer.

HP Recommended

@NotAFanBoi 

If you want to consider FORCING the PC to upgrade to Win10 v20H2, instead of v20.04, then you would need to do the following:

1) Use Macrium Reflect to create a backup on a large USB stick or external drive (see below)

2) Use this link to download and create Win10 install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3) insert that into your PC (do NOT boot from it), find the folder containing the media, select the setup.exe file, right-click that and select Run as Administrator.  This will start an in-place Upgrade which could then take a couple of hours to complete.

If you are presented with a window asking for a product key, down near the bottom is a entry you can click to skip that. Do NOT enter a product key, as it will reuse your existing key and when you finish and get back online, Windows will automatically activate.

--------------- Doing Image Backup ---------------
I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.