Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-inch Displays
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Is there anybody in HP company to offer HELP without having to pay the human beings who knows your product? My HP PC crashed while I was listening to YouTube and cleaning my house. HP Recovery/Refresh feature did its thing. Then I noticed this " Windows 8.1 Build 9600" in the Lower Right corner of my screen, and the picture that I set up during Locked screen mode reverted to HP default picture. When I tried to put my picture back, I got the message that I need to ACTIVATE WINDOWS. When I tried to ACTIVATE WINDOWS onLine, it tells me that I cannot do it now and to try some other times. There is a field asking for my Windows 8.1 Product Key. According to what I have read so far, this Product Key is in the BIOS and I, the consumer, cannot get this 25 -character key.  NOW, If I, the consumer, cannot access this key, and I, the consumer, cannot ACTIVATE WINDOWS onLine, Who in the world is there to help me?  I can safely conclude that HP will not treat me, the consumer EVEN IF MY WARRANTY HAS EXPIRED, as if I purchased a LEMON vehicle from a Used Vehicle joint. CORRECT?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@PCrashed

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You can download and run this utility to find and display your product key:  Windows 10 Embedded Product Key Tool 

If that does not work, then try this one:  https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkeyplus.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for providing me the links. I downloaded the 1st option. Then came that System access confirmation window. It said if I will grant the program/application access to make changes in my hard drive. I said "NO" and the thing disappeared. Was I supposed to grant additional access to computer to this company, in order to run the program? Is there anything else that I can use without adding another intrusion to my computer?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.