Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Good afternoon again Paul.  Re my dc7600, local retailer unable to assist.  It's Currys/PC World, the major and national UK chain for consumer products.   Unable to acquire HP parts as buyers have to stick to approved suppliers, and DOES NOT use Amazon.  Desktop is back at home.  Over time, I'll ascertain what type of DIMMs and graphics card I have.  The HP technical specs. typically give whatever would have been fitted, meaning opening chassis only way to be sure.  

I, as private customer, can order parts from Amazon, indeed have located HP, Radeon, G Force etc components, over here at UK suppliers.  They cannot be difficult to fit, forums abound with HP users doing just this........and having no improved result, forums mostly deal with 'failures'.  At least changing components easily achieved.

And will have to upgrade W XP to W 7 myself (have the upgrade DVD).  Ditto W 7 to W 10, hope that's possible online.  

Plan B then!

HP Recommended

Good evening:

As long as you can find a copy of W7 Pro for cheap, you may even be able to upgrade to W10 for free.

See this link for more info.  I was able to still get the free upgrade this past July.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

HP Recommended

Good afternoon again!

Have chassis off, took many photos, DIMMs firmly attached at their both end clamps.  Label reads: 256 MB 1RX16 PC2-4000U-444-12-C0.  Will use that photo as temporary Profile photo!  RAM has to increase to 4 GB anyway, new DIMMs needed anyway.

Graphics card reads: QUADRO NNS 280 PCI and "Complies with ICES-003-5".  Will look on Amazon, something about same shape and size   Confirmed card lifts straight up and out.

Hard Drive (Samsung) label reads HD 80 GB SATA-3G (presume = 3 GB/s), model HD080HJ. 

Intel Pentium 4 processor reads: NH8280 1 GB    F5373443    SL8FX   M C '04  e1  '04 = 2004, makes sense, chassis is stamped 2005 10 26.  Unable to match this with any Pentium 4 HT on the also.com Quick Specs pdf

Already have Windows XP to Windows Home Premium DVD upgrade, £10 cheaper than the W 7 Professional on Amazon!  Not connecting up tonight, will try Friday.  Stumped until monitor again fires up!

Returned to Currys/PC World, got the £60 labour refunded.  Then bought a 32 inch JVC LED TV with DVD player, as need 2nd small TV set....and needed something to cheer up (and works!) £200 = $260.  

HP Recommended

Hi:

It should be a fun project.

The memory comes out by releasing the ends of the retaining clips.

Here is the link to the service manual.   See pages 2-10 - 2-12 for how to remove and replace the memory.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00368831

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Paul. 

Released the Channel A DIMMs (nearest centre of chassis), these mounted on a black and a white socket. Channel B DIMMs (nearer chassis edge) the same, left those clamped though.  Both on black socket, made by Smart Modular Technologies, each 256 MB, so my CURRENT desktop is 2 x 256 MB =561 MB, DDR 2 Synch DRAM PC 2-4200 533-M Hz Non ECC.  121 teeth.  This gives Dual-Channel Interleaved Mode, but only 512 MB of it!

On both white sockets, made by Kingston, but does not say what these do.  Must be correct though as # 2 labeled KTH-XW4200AN/256.  Can I just reuse these on the white sockets?  Still just 512 MB though.

On Amazon, have Saved 2 x  HP 512 MB PC2-5300 DIMMs &, amazingly with same # of pins.  Total price some £80 = $104, incl delivery. So can get up to 32-bit, as need 1 GB RAM.  Thus far, cannot find more RAM on DiMMs that would fit sockets.

Can I fit 4 of the above HP 512 MB PC2-5300 DIMMs, that also gives Dual-Channel Interleaved mode.  Then discard the existing Kingston DIMMs.  Would that give me 2 GB of RAM, hence the 64-bit Windows 7 and W 10 Version.  About £140 = $182.   Please, can I get to 2 GB  this way?

The bigger DIMMs have too many teeth and are too long to fit in.  Also too tall, max for chassis seems 10.0 cm.  The current ones only 3.0 cm tall. 

Do plug-in external RAMs exist?  Like external hard drives, that seems far easier.

Unable to yet ascertain which DIMM is defective, all I know is I still have the 5 beeps, meaning a defective DIMM (as all 4 were firmly clamped in). 

Despite supplies set back, conformed can remove DIMMs!!  Feel confident!!

HP Recommended

Unable to get USB copy of your link.  Toshiba stated Not secure link, tried twice on USB copy, both failed.  Can get, or attempt, paper copy at a public library.  

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't understand why you can't find 1 GB PC-5300 or PC-6400 memory modules.

I didn't think they were that hard to find.

Using the Kingston memory configurator at the link below, they provide the part number you need...

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/discontinuedmodels?model=23722&devicetype=2&mfr=HEW&line=B...

I was able to find 1 x 1 GB module from a seller on Amazon UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-KTH-XW4300-1G-Memory-Module-Green/dp/B0009XASHI/ref=sr_1_1?keyword...

Anyway, you need 4 of those.

The seller also has 2 x 2 GB modules, but for your PC, you may have to leave two of the slots empty because the max is 4 GB.  You would put one chip in the primary slot, and the other one two slots over.

I downloaded the manual and attached it below. 

Maybe you can open it that way, because the link I posted works fine for me.

HP Recommended

Good morning Paul!  Huge thanks again!  Both links opened OK, and this time able to Copy the HP hardware ref guide to USB.

Will persevere with getting 1 GB DIMMs, will also search eBay today.  In the HP manual, re new DIMMS, says DIMMs must be industry-standard 240-pin.  I'm new at all this: I counted the number of gold or copper 'teeth' at base, they're 1 mm wide.  121 on the black-socketed DIMMs, 120 on the white socketed DIMMs.  That's why I felt almost none on Amazon would fit.  A few had dimensions and were too long.  Will look for ads stating 240-pin, as teeth and pin not the same.

Will concentrate on 4 x 1 GB DIMMs, then look at 2 2 GB, each would go in the black sockets. 

Hope your day goes well.

HP Recommended

Good morning, and you are very welcome.

All DDR2 desktop memory will be 240 pins.

The main thing to concentrate on is that the memory be non-ECC and unbuffered.

Try to get PC2-5300 or PC2-6400 whichever costs less as the PC2-4200 memory will slow down the PC.

The processor can run the memory at 667 MHz, and the PC2-4200 memory only runs at533 MHz.

I am also wondering if you have to get 2 x 2 GB that you put the memory in adjacent slots, since those are separate channels, and you are maxing out both channels that way.

Anyway, it is easy enough to experiment with if you have to.

You know for sure that one of the memory chips has to go in the primary memory slot anyway, so it would just be one chip to move.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon Paul.  Have noticed my HP numbering commences as dc7600S, not dc7600s, the upppercase S = Small Form Factor.  Small s = Microsoft Office.  Oddity is that both are true!

That apart, yes 240-pins.  Did not grasp it, the 'teeth' (of a comb say) we count singly...on DIMMs (double-sided) plastic body continues BETWEEN 'teeth', hence 2 pins per 1 mm = count twice.  

Will continue on both Amazon and eBay, looking for best likely products.  Descriptions vary, certain i can get there.  Feel happier with 4 x  GB, BUT many products only 4 or less remaining, some only one.  

Re-inserted both Channel A DIMMs today.  The same 5 bleeps remain.  Impossible to tell visually, hence need those new DIMMs.  Cannot believe PC is giving a false positive, HP have a different analysis or fix for all numbers of bleeps.

Many thanks for your advice and patience!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.