Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Gaming Pavilion - 17-cd0095nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received my new Hp computer yesterday. Today I got a weird message about windows not being activated.

I went to settings (as the legend asks) and found an error

"We can't activate Windows on this device because the product key was already used on another device. If you think it wasn't used on another device, select Troubleshoot below. Error code: 0xC004C008"

I tried the Troubleshoot but it only tells me "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device." and ask's me to buy a valid license.

(Screenshot below)

I have seen similar errors mentioned in the forum when hardware is changed... but as I mentioned before I just got this computer yesterday. The hardware hasn't changed and the windows is the one that was pre-installed. Only thing I did was the initial configuration and install chrome.

activationError.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would return the notebook because that shouldn't be happening.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Other than returning the PC to the store, see if this works...

I have zipped up and attached a free utility below that will show you the product key in the PC's BIOS.

Go to the PC settings menu>activation>change product key and enter the W10 OEM key that the showkey plus utility provides.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work.

After typing the license again I got the exact same error 😞

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would return the notebook because that shouldn't be happening.

HP Recommended

Just as a reference for future victims.... I talked with support, we tried everything from factory restore to restore from external device. nothing worked so I'll have to send it to them so they can fix it.

In theory it will take 2 days for them to send packaging material, 2 to fix it, and another 2 to send back... so if all goes right I should have it back in ~6 working days. Some good luck I may have a working computer just 2-3 weeks after I bought it... yay?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.