3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

Omen by HP 870-245qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have done everything I know how to do.

I bought an SSD and I am trying to get windows onto the drive.
I want the SSD to run windows. Just windows.
Normally when I've done a system restore or the whole new OS it has left me choose the drives. However this time it does not. I just keeps installing it on the drive that came with the computer.

When I did a factory reset it but some aspects of windows on both drive and created 5 partitions between them both,

I have never had this issue with any computer I have had and I have tried everything that I KNOW how to do.

Magickal Person
5 REPLIES 5
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,757 4,686 444 982
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

What type and capacity SSD did you buy?

Are you doing a HP factory recovery using the HP Recovery partition on the factory HDD? It will install on the factory HDD.

You should be able to clone/copy the current HDD to the new SSD by using Macrium Reflect free (Link). Or create HP Recovery media on a USB stick. Then disconnect the factory HDD so you have one storage device to recover to.

The source disk cannot have more data than the capacity of the target SSD. This would also be a limiting factor if this parameter is false.

Regards

0 Kudos
MagickShadow Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

My SSD is 250GB

How does on create Recovery Media on a USB Stick?

Magickal Person
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,757 4,686 444 982
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

Hi,

Please answer all questions in first response.

Does the BIOS see the new SSD?

You should have a HP Recovery Manager App or Program which allows creating USB recovery media.

If not, you can order recovery media at this site (Link). Scroll down to "Order Recovery Media".

You can also do a clean W10 install using Microsoft installation media at this (Link).

Regards

0 Kudos
MagickShadow Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

I didn't see that question.
Yes bios does read the SSD

I see the app, I'll try the usb solution. then if I HAVE to, order the software.

Magickal Person
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,757 4,686 444 982
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Windows on an SSD

Hi,

Sounds good.

Disconnect the factory HDD when doing a HP Factory Recovery to the new SSD so you only have one storage device recovery option.

HP recovery media may fail if the target storage device is less than storage device capacity options at purchase.

You may have to use Windows 10 installation media.

Regards

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation