Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone 😄 
I recentally got a new graphics card. Gefore GTX 1660. When i tried downloading the drivers for it. It claims the driver isnt supported by this version of windows and stops the install.
After hours of trying to find out why. My brother who has the same pc other than a different graphics card saw a difference.
His windows version is 1803 of windows 10 Pro.
Mine is 1607 WIndows 10 pro. 

Im not really sure how this is possible. Is there a good fix to this? OTHER THAN FAC- RESETTING!

Thanks 😄

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Presrich1 

Hate to say this, but it might simply be that your model PC, since it did not come with Win10 preinstalled, does not actually support upgrading to a current version of Win10.

For a while, MS was posting the increased hardware requirements for each new version of Win10, as we were getting posts from folks who had upgraded to Win10 and with recent versions, were either NOT getting the upgrades, or even worse, WERE getting the upgrades but then having their PCs being corrupted in the process.

I have not seen this information from MS in some time, and we don't see much posting activity regarding corrupted PCs these days -- so my presumtion is that MS has tightened their rules on allowing Upgrades, and your PC just might be one of the victims of that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

I don't know.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Create Windows 10 installation media

To get started, you will first need to have a licence to install Windows 10. You can then download and run the media creation tool. For more information on how to use the tool, see the instructions below.

HP Recommended

@Presrich1 

First off, factory resetting wil only make matters worse, not better. Since your PC came with Win10 v1607 preinstalled, a reset is only going to put it back to that state, leaving you faced with hours and hours of updates to get your PC up to the current Win10 version (1809) and build (17763.379).

Second, I am astounded that in all these YEARS, your PC has not updated to at least version 1709 -- but there may be a reason for that, as MS has changed their automatic updates to NOT run on PCs that don't meet the hardware requirements for more current Win10 versions. That means if you FORCE an upgrade to the current Win10 version, you may then end up with a nonworking PC. However, you did say that your brother's PC is running v1803 without problems -- so my guess is that your older video card (and its incompatibility with newer Win10 versions) is what has been preventing your being upgraded.

That said, you have a couple of choices regarding the upgrade path ...

1) Immediate upgrade -- this is what @Lil_Boy_Blue is suggesting by using Win10 media and that is most likely the fastest way to do this.  But realize that will force your PC into Win10 v1809 and your brother's PC is running only 1803, not even 1809.  So, you have no way of knowing if your PC will work with v1809.

If you choose this route, be aware that rollbacks of Win10 version often do NOT work -- so if the upgrade goes badly, you could be left with a nonworking PC.  In that case, I would strongly advise making an image backup of your PC before starting this upgrade.

I personally prefer to use third-party Backup solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR) from here: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 15 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

2) Phased Upgrade -- with the new video card, you might now be able to use Windows Update to do the upgrade in stages -- using the files downloaded by Windows Update. This is liable to take longer, as it will probably NOT jump you right into v1809 but will do a number of Feature Upgrades and Cumulative Updates, but these can easily take several hours for them all to complete and they could require a lot of disk space (e.g., 20GB or more) to store all the update files.

---------------------------------

Either way is going to be substantial work and it would probably be best to do the image backup regardless of which path you choose, as Windows Updates have been known to corrupt PCs in the past.

If it were my PC, I would do the following:

1.  Image backup

2) Use the approach @Lil_Boy_Blue recommended to jump straight to v1809.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply! 
I have actually tried to update my pc multiple times and different ways. 
I kept getting an error around 20% into it

"Windows could not configure one or more componets. To install windows please restart the computer and restart the install"

tried that twice and got the error. Not really sure what to do now. we had windows 8 when we bought the pc. and got the upgrade to 10 when that was free.

HP Recommended

Hi
Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type
msinfo32
Read Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

Then we can try and analyse a starting point.

HP Recommended

HP Envy H8 
H8-1520t
C9D47AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 PRO

HP Recommended

@Presrich1 

Hate to say this, but it might simply be that your model PC, since it did not come with Win10 preinstalled, does not actually support upgrading to a current version of Win10.

For a while, MS was posting the increased hardware requirements for each new version of Win10, as we were getting posts from folks who had upgraded to Win10 and with recent versions, were either NOT getting the upgrades, or even worse, WERE getting the upgrades but then having their PCs being corrupted in the process.

I have not seen this information from MS in some time, and we don't see much posting activity regarding corrupted PCs these days -- so my presumtion is that MS has tightened their rules on allowing Upgrades, and your PC just might be one of the victims of that.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. My brother has an identical pc and is updated fully unlike mine. I was hoping it was a simple issue 😕

HP Recommended

Hi

So if they are identical, consider a clone of his onto yours.

You have secure boot enabled?

Add your HDD or another one to his machine and try that.

I suspect the outcome will be as WAWood states,but I am a trier.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.