Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
h8-1280t

This will be my final post on my 12-y old desktop.

I need to know if anyone knows of a program that will wipe my computer hdd clean. It has to be downlodable and run without a disc or USB. That is because the computer DVD/CD does not burn or read  discs and all USB slots fail to recognize anything but my mouse and keyboard..I have two portable hdd's and they work on my AIO

I've tried all options under Settings/Update and Security and  nothing helps. All options require disc o, USB, or portable hdd.

Appreciate any heads-up

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What you ask is simply not possible.

Why? Because any app you run has to be launched from inside an OS, that has to be running at the time, and NOT be on the same filesystem as the wiping program.  Which is why these are done by booting from a USB stick or CD/DVD and running the Secure Erase program to wipe the drive containing Windows.

One app that I know and use is MiniTool Partition Wizard but you have to create their boot disk and run from that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood for your response.

I tried it with disk and USB. Couldn't be done. Even tried with HP System Recovery discs that came with the computer when I purchased it. bd-rom wouldn't run them - just opened and showed what files on 1st disc.

So, I purchased a new hard drive and will try that. If I don't have any luck, then I'll just destroy the hard drive and recycle the rest.

HP Recommended

Here's what I posted in Microsoft Community.

Is my hard drive done?

I have an old HP Pavillion desktop that has served me well but not good enough for Win 11, so, I bought a new AIO. I transferred the files I want from the old one to One Drive and decided I wanted to wipe/format the old hard drive.

Tried everything shown under Update and Security. Nothing worked. Tried inserting the System Recovery discs (Win 7) and that didn't work. So I decided to use software to do that and downloaded Wipe Disk. No good. Said can't lock disc, system in use.

Cutting to the chase, I got the error code 0xc0000225. Searched it and followed the instructions. No help. Did further research and found a MS page that give instructions on how to download and create a Media Creation Tool. Downloaded to USB then tried it on the old desktop. Here's what I got

20240524_064026[1](1)(1).png

Did a CMD/Run As Administrator and sfc scan now and this is what came up

20240524_063212(1)(1).png

There's been much more but this is probably the best info that I've been able to come up with.

Both computers are on my network but when I want to access the old desktop and click on C, it says I don't have permission. However, if I click on Users I can access various files on it. Don't know what that is all about.

Also, the old one is unbelievably slow on loading everything. Strange considering it is 2nd gen i7 with 16GB mem and 2 tb hard drive.

If there is a solution fine. If not, I have another hard drive coming.

Thanks for any info/suggestions.

HP Recommended

I actually use a sledge hammer to destroy old hard drives because the wiping program takes hours and hours to run -- and there is no point in wasting all that time if all I want to do is dispose of the drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.