Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion P6-2435ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer recently had a complete harddisk failure. I have replaced the harddisk with new version of Windows 10.  I think my wireless adapter is not being recoginised, it isn't showing in device manager.  I can connect to the internet using a LAN cable but not wirelessly.

How do I get the wireless adapter to show in device manager so that i can configure it?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

1. Run HP Support Assistant, to see if it can find the Windows 10 device-driver for your wireless networking adapter.

2. Run Windows Update, to see if it can find the Windows 10 device-driver for your wireless networking adapter.

3. Try the RALINK device-driver from Windows 8.1 64-bit:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-p6-2400-desktop-pc-series/533...

to see if will install.

HP Recommended

Hi pv3001

You must have unknown devices in Device Manager if the wireless network adapter driver is not installed. If you have no unknown devices in Device Manager then it is possible the network adapter has failed (hardware problem). You will not see an unknown device error message in Device Manager when hardware fails.

Please refer to this "Make Use Of"  how to article on finding unknown device drivers (only if this error condition appears in Device Manager) because the correct device driver has not been installed.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you both for your quick responses. Before posting I tried HP support assistant and windows update.  The Ralink device driver suggested will not install as it shows an error message saying that I have the wrong version of windows.  I have located a WIN 10 version of the driver and this has not worked.

I  can remember when I installed windows having an error message about a network adapter but i cannot remember the full context.  The adapter does not appear in Device Manager, it is as if it does not exist according to windows rather than it being in error. I assume it is built into the motherboard so that I cannot physically remove it, restart, then replace to see if windows recognises it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi pv3001

You are welcome.

HP typically integrates wireless on the motherboard.

You can buy a USB or PCIe x1 wireless adapter if you really need one.

I use a USB wireless adapter. Works great!

Grzy

HP Recommended

> HP typically integrates wireless on the motherboard.

Not correct, for this model.  From: https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c03668451

it is a removable adapter:

Capture.JPG

So, if it is not listed by Windows, the hardware has failed, and therefore must be either:

* replaced by a very-similar device;

* removed, and substituted by an add-in PCI-E wireless adapter card (there are three 'X1' PCI-E slots on the motherboard.

Maybe, remove the current adapter, and re-insert it, to ensure that it is "seated" properly.

HP Recommended

Duh!

Read my reply dude.

You are incredibly arrogant.

Grzy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.