HP Recommended
hp pro 3400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

need help finding a bios update please, specs and reason below

i5 2500k

16gb ram

mobo - foxconn 2abf

bios version 7.15

reason is i am having issues instaling a gpu (gtx760) , This is a spare pc , i have tested the gpu in my main sytem and have confirmed it is working fine . On this hp pro 3400 i cannot boot when gpu is plugged in , i get a black screen with blinking underscore. any help would be great, Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
itsmyname
Level 8
2,012 1,999 75 210
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have monitors connected to each of the display connectors (motherboard, VGA and DVI and HDMI on the add-in video-card?  Do any of them show anything when you power-on the computer?

Remove the video-card, and enter BIOS SETUP. Does it show an option to give "preference" to the onboard video, or to any video-card connected to a PCI-E connector? Change the value. Exit from BIOS SETUP.

Power-off. Insert the video-card. (Does the video-card require an additional power-connector?)

Connect the monitor to a port on the video-card. Power on. What happens?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Tekkitor
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, yes monitor is connect fine and displays a picture, if I remove the card everything works as it should, I've also tested the card in another system and it works fine, power connecters are plugged in. the bios is very basic with no option to change prefered gpu setting. I've tried disabling the on board graphics and also tried to boot in safe mode, none of this has worked unfortunately 

itsmyname
Level 8
2,012 1,999 75 210
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was hoping that you would have monitors simultaneously connected to both the "onboard" video-port and to a video-port on the add-in graphics card.

with no option to change prefered gpu setting. I've tried disabling the on board graphics

There's only a slight difference between "preferred GPU" and "onboard graphics".

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,787 6,753 639 1,531
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think you have a BIOS problem.

The 760 requires a UEFI BIOS. You have a Legacy BIOS (7.xx).

Check downloads for your PC to see if HP offers a BIOS update to a 8.xx BIOS when using W10.

Regards

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation