Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop 510-a010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inserted a CD to install my printer and it must have fallen out of the tray when inside the computer, because when I eject the tray, it is empty.  How do I get the CD out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Shutdown the computer.

Disconnect the AC power.

Press the ON/OFF button, to "drain" any residual electrical power.

Remove the side-panel.

Disconnect the power & data cables from the CD/DVD drive.

Remove any screws holding the CD/DVD in its place.

You may need to remove the front panel.

Slide the CD/DVD device out the front.

Look inside the computer-case for the media.

If necessary, disassemble the CD/DVD drive, to look "inside" it for the media.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Shutdown the computer.

Disconnect the AC power.

Press the ON/OFF button, to "drain" any residual electrical power.

Remove the side-panel.

Disconnect the power & data cables from the CD/DVD drive.

Remove any screws holding the CD/DVD in its place.

You may need to remove the front panel.

Slide the CD/DVD device out the front.

Look inside the computer-case for the media.

If necessary, disassemble the CD/DVD drive, to look "inside" it for the media.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for the detailed advice!  I'm wondering if I left it alone, would it damage the computer at all?

HP Recommended

> if I left it alone, would it damage the computer at all?

It is plastic, which does not conduct electricity.  So, that's not a possible "short-circuit" problem.

However, if it touches any fan inside your computer, it could either make a "screeching" noise, or could break a fan-blade, or could "freeze" the fan so that it does not spin, and thus does not move cool air inside your computer.

I forgot to mention: after removing the CD/DVD device, shake it, and listen for any "rattling" that would indicate that the "missing" media is stuck inside the device.  If it is "inside", it could prevent you from reading any other CD/DVD media.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the information!

HP Recommended

When the CD disappeared off the tray in my HP All-in-One model 19-3210, I could not see nor hear it in the machine.  However, when I looked closer at the drawer, I eventually noticed what might be a reflection of the edge of a CD in the slot between the front of the area and the metal frame that the drawer was connected to.  I carefully slid an index card between the metal frame and the front of the machine, and when I pulled it back, it slid the CD out enough to get the disc out.  I hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.