Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 590 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After the last Windows 10 update, my HP Pavilion 590 Desktop Hard drive will not turn on.  It says there is an error Code Oxc000098 or Oxc00007b.  i get a msg that the computer has experienced an error and the system is preparing a repair tool. Then I get a screen that says Stop Code Driver Power State failure.  Each time I try to reboot, i get either of the above error codes, but mostly the one ending in 98.  When the system closes itself down and restarts, I have choices of using different keys to try something new, but none of them seem to work except escape, which starts the same failure process all over again.  Can anyone help me.  Thank you so very much..

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@annhop

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Let's run the Extensive Test if no system component failed during the Fast Test.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component displays on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding.  I can get to the screen w/blue box  and option of F1, F2, F9. F10, F11.  and Enter to continue startup.   However, only   enter keys seems to work.  but that takes me to a blank screen and then the Preparin Automatic Repair  notice shows up.  That runs for 30 minutes or so and then the system shuts down but does not automatically restart.

I cannot get any of the F keys working. I even tried a different keyboard.  

My issue started on 10 April, I believe.  I have not made any hardware/software changes or changed any settings, I  cannot remember exactly when the last update was either software or hardware.

Thank you again.  

HP Recommended

@annhop

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all your advice, but nothing seems to work.  I imagine I just dont know enough about what I am doing.  I have called and made appointment with local computer fix it person.

I really appreciate all your assistance.  When I am back in operation, I will respond and let you know what worked.

Thank you again for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@annhop

Thank you for posting back. 

Work on it as per your convenience and keep me posted on the results.  

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM... NO ERROR CODES PROVIDED. F9 REVEALED IT COULD NOT FIND MY HARD DRIVE ... IT GIVES THE OPTION TO LOAD FROM A CD... SHOULD I JUST PURCHASE A WINDOWS 10 AND RELOAD IT ??? 

HP Recommended

I wish I could help.  I finally got my hard drive back from the computer shop; they were very backed up.  They tell me that there is nothing that can be done for me, as mine wont even turn on now. Unfortunately, I have only had the unit a little over 1 year.  One thing I will tell you, is that if there is any possibility of getting your documents or files onto some sort of external media, please do so.  I know better and did not backup and lost everything.

HP Recommended

I finally got my hard drive back from the computer shop; they were very backed up.  They tell me that there is nothing that can be done for me, as mine wont even turn on now. Unfortunately, I have only had the unit a little over 1 year.  

I want to thank you so very much for attempting to help me with my hard drive.  I really appreciate you taking your time to help.

Stay healthy.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.