Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a old Hp Media desk computer. On Saturday reorganizing and cleaning ghost showed up. So I disassemble my desktop and moved it. Now all reconnected ,my old PC does not want to work , kind of dead somehow I waited for over night  and after running many F10 and F2 and F11, finally I get a recovery I was very happy to see that. So I go ahead and say I need a immediate help. And it changes me to Factory default Windows 7. I did not realize it that I am loosing all my docs and pics and windows 10 and all. 

Now I am trying to restore the system to Fri, a day before  this mess. I am not getting the option of system restore. My question is how to I retrieve my old desktop and windows 10. Is there a easy fix like restore and forget about the mess. will I ever be able to get back my PC to Friday s setting? Thanks in advance for your anticipated help.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You are in a bad situation. Sorry to see you were not backing up data to external media.

The HP factory image has been restored to your primary operating system disk, this process puts the PC back to factory specs. Windows 10 restore options are gone unless you used Windows backup or third party imaging software to create W10 disk images.

You will have to update to W10 again or do a clean install of W10.  This Microsoft site can help with either option (Link). Your PC will activate W10 because you have a digital license for W10.

But it may be almost impossible to get data back if it has been overwritten by the W7 factory install. It is impossible to know where the data was on the disk. A format only removes file pointers but the data may still be there. But disk sector overwrites caused by reinstalling Windows 7 may remove some of the data.

I can only suggest professional data recovery. You would have to talk to the data recovery folks to see if data recovery is possible in your situation.

This option can be very expensive and is not guaranteed. 

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.